Boy Scouts and Geocaching

Event planning, past events, CITO's

Boy Scouts and Geocaching

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 pm

The 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America will occur in 2010. As part of that celebration,Geocaching will be introduced at a national level and it will filter down locally.

http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100yea ... ching.aspx

It looks like I'm being appointed as the Geocaching event Chair for Greater NY Councils. I don't know what types of events I will be holding yet, but I am sure that we in Metro GC will have a major role. There is a webcast teleconference next week where I will get more details.

John
Tatanka49

Re: Boy Scouts and Geocaching

Postby peeves79 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Neat. Will the scouts be able to get a geocaching badge?

Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 am

At the present time there is no geocaching merit badge--but I am sure there will be a participation badge of some type.
Tatanka49

Postby BLAA » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Tatanka49 wrote:At the present time there is no geocaching merit badge--but I am sure there will be a participation badge of some type.

I came across this puzzle cache out here in Southern California...

A Camper's Lucky Box: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9346a45e-40ca-4ee6-868b-476f78efc23b

... although it did not qualify for a badge per se, it apparently qualifies for other scouting requirements. It is gratifying to see geocaching be shared with youth groups.

BTW: It is a very cool, well designed and challenging puzzle...the first part of the puzzle was easy for us to decipher ... but after that ...we're stumped! :oops:
BLAA

Postby Tatanka49 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

I was at a meeting about this last night. I have 30 geocoins that are really neat (there were about 1500 made) and special travel bug tags that will be distributed eventually. On the surface, it looks like National would like 136 new caches in NYC...but since NYC is a microcache mecca, I will be happy if I can set up 50. I also suggested some GC orientation events and the answer I got from the council was "Can we do it as a webinar?" Sure...just have to figure out how that works. I may need some help later on from the NYC GC Community--in planning and running GC events.

Some other help..thoughts so to speak...

They want us to set up standard size caches--Tupperware, ammo boxes, etc. The women in charge is a GCer from Califoirnia and just doesn't understand Urban caching ("oh you can ALWAYS put one in near by...you just have to be creative" Yeah, right. Anyway, I want to beat them at their own game.

So..what can I do with micros that have the same affect...there will be post cards in each of the 'standard' caches that collects info about scouting alumni, current scouting people, or future scouting people (kids, adults, contributors, etc) These acrds are then sent to the local council office where there will be a drawing for these geocoins (this is all with the blessing of GC.com). If I CAN't get a card in a micro, any thoughts on how to collect the data and send it in? I was thinking that perhaps a facimile can be made on the cache page, and put a code number in the micro. If someone finds it, they fill out the form on line including the code number, and I will enter the information in the drawing. Do you think GC.com would go along with that?

I may bounce it off the BSA/GC people but I have to see you think it's a good idea first.

J
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:26 pm

Tatanka49 wrote:On the surface, it looks like National would like 136 new caches in NYC

Really?
addisonbr

Postby peeves79 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:56 pm

When they say "NYC" are they referring to Manhattan or all of the five boroughs?
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby Tatanka49 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 am

It's all 5 boros. NYC is broken into 8 districts. Staten Island, Manhattan and the Bronx have one district each, Brooklyn has 2 and Queens 3. They would like 17 caches per district. 12 of them are to publicize scout service projects (something like my Trail to Eagle to Eagle cache in Whitestone)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f326356256
and the 5 additional ones to highlight sites of importance to Cubs, Scouts, Ventures, leaders and alumni.

I plan to place one in each of our 3 camps--although only one is physically in NYC--in Staten Island. The other 2 will be in Alpine NJ and Narrowsburg NY.

J
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:02 am

I think this is a fantastic example of folks not understanding the local realities of geocaching. The top-down, one-size-fits-all approach just isn't going to work here.

When caches start out as "Man, this would be a great place/idea for a cache!" they usually turn out nicely.

When caches start out as "Geez, I have to figure out where to put 136 (or 50, or 30) new containers because of a big marketing push" they often don't.

I think you're right to question TPTB on this somewhat ill-conceived cookie cutter approach.

My suggestion would be to start by trying to hide one large container in each of the districts (8 containers total) that contain the materials that the Mother Ship would like to include. Publicize them as a bookmarked series, and perhaps even hide a bonus cache in Queens that requires finding the other 8 first.

If that goes well, they're popular and you're enjoying the location research and the ongoing maintenance, then by all means add to them.

But my fear is that huge cache series without an organic genesis (that "Man, this would be a great place for a cache" feeling) are doomed.
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 am

Can existing caches that would really fit "scouting" count or do they want 136 new one? I'm thinking the 2 multis in Seton Falls preserve in the northeast Bronx (mine and Alan2's) are already existing good examples of showing wilderness in the middle of an urban area (and ones not many know about unlike ones in say Central, Prospect, Van Cortlandt Parks, etc.). I know you know of several in woods in Queens that also fit the bill (I haven't gone over the bridge to find them, but I know Alan2 has hidden a couple, maybe Bonick's "CSI" series, etc.). Then there's the "open frontier" of Staten Island.....

Just a thought.
halijusapa

Re: Boy Scouts and Geocaching--Update

Postby Tatanka49 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:46 pm

No that I've had time to think this all through, things are beginning to come together.

1. On January 9 at BMCC there is a big Scouting training event (members only) and I am doing an Intro to GC workshop.
2. Within the next month, I will be placing a series of medium to large caches that will contain information cards. When these are mailed back, they will be in a drawing for custom geocoins (unactivated) The first two will be in Woodside Queens and Alpine NJ. The next two will be in Staten Island and one in Narrowsburg NY (about 120 miles north of the city). There will be a fifth one but I don't know where yet.
3. I have in my possession 5 unique dog tags that have their own GC logo. There are only 1500 in circulation (although less than 100 have been released so far). They will be dropped in the new caches going on line in the enxt few weeks.
4. I hope to put out at least 36 micro/small caches in the next 3 months on what is called the Cache to Eagle series. There will be 12 in Manhattan, at least 12 in Queens and 12 scattered around the rest of the city. They will highlight eagle scout service projects. All will have code words in them and when you find all 12 in the series, you can have a special patch mailed to you.
5. I am planniing a BIG Intro to GC day and I will need the Society's help to pull it off. There is one in Trenton NJ on January 2. I think Jan 2 is nuts for this type of event but I am going to lend a hand.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 5a570c81f5
Mine will be similar and planned for Saturday, April 10 (I hope--if I can get a Parks Dept Permit) -- Probably in Forest Park although it may be in Prospect Park.
6. I hope to introduce the game to of kids and leaders in the next few months and am encouraging them to set their own caches. On fellow from College Point talked to me about putting a historic trail in College Point.
7. There may be a big CITO on April 24. Not my event but I will try to piggy back with it.
8. There will be a new Geocaching merit badge out in April. Looks like I will be the first counselor in the city for it and I expect one of my scouts in Troop 70 to be one of the first earners in the nation. I have 2 or 3 kids (who some of you have met) that I call Geocaching Hounds as they can really sniff out cache locations.
9. There will be a Travel Bug 'race' in the spring that will carry a Pinewood Derby car (a cub scout event where they build little wooden cars).
10. I am in the process of putting together a GC Committee of GCing scout leders. Very few out there. I have identified maybe 10 so if you are reading this and you are, please let me know. I may also want some non-scouting GCers on the committee as advisers.

Gotta go. Have a Great Christmas and I hope to see you at my Dinering event next Tuesday. I'll be out GCing in Christmas Day. Don't know where yet, but plan to fill Santa's bag with a bunch of smileys.

J
Tatanka49

Postby Bonick0 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 pm

When you determine the official date for the Intro to GC class let us know. I'll be sure to get it off from work.
Bonick0

Return to Events