[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Challenges - Thoughts?

Challenges - Thoughts?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Re: Challenges - Thoughts?

Postby halijusapa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 am

halijusapa

Postby Kbd71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 am

"Take your Buddha statue for a bike ride"

New Challenge?
Kbd71

Postby addisonbr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 am

addisonbr

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Last edited by lefalaf on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:21 pm

lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 pm

lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 pm

lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 pm

halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm

"Take a picture of you from the Empire State Building By imitating KING KONG"
http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CXA43

Does this mean that I have to scale the outside (cool a T5 challenge!) and yank a female out of one of the offices on the way up?

FTF Prize - Internationally famous, and an all-expense paid trip to Cuba! (gitmo) :D
lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 am

Looks like Jeremy fixed the dates, yay! :)

Also looks like Bryan Roth, the lesser known co-founder of Groundspeak with Jeremy, posted something on Groundspeak's "Latitude 47" blog about the whole Challenges reaction. Kind of a fair but far from perfect assessment that at least starts to listen to user complaints, though the more interesting thing is the comments many gave after.

I think the gist of this is that the solution if they really listen to everyone is going to be either to count the stats separate (ironically, something that was how it was at least going to begin, but changed because everyone said it should add to your stats) or to make it a separate site or use it to prop up Waymarking.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/08/geoc ... e-feedback
halijusapa

Postby Bonick0 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 pm

I finally had time to read up on challenges. What kinda crap is this? And why does it count toward the total? I like the Virtuals and Earth caches because they bring you to interesting and unusual locations where a physical container may not be feasible. You get to learn something historic or geological, discover a fun spot and get credit for it. That's certainly not "caching", but I'm not going to pass on a smilie.

I assumed this was going to be the DeLorme grid type of challenges or find 5 types of caches in a day challenge. The challenge of taking a photo of yourself with stuff is really not worth credit. There are currently 3 challenges listed involving statue of liberty. Really? One just wasn't enough? I fear for NYC being overrun with this idiocy and I sure hope they won't be showing up on the caching map - that would be a complete disaster.

Groundspeak seems set on keeping them so hopefully they'll listen to everyone's feedback and narrow down the focus of challenges to make them more outdoor and caching related. And this point I have no interest in being involved.
Bonick0

Postby halijusapa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Ironically, many times today the GC.com website was slow if not downright "locked up".......sounds like the way it was on weekends just before they got rid of Locationless, etc. back in the day....... :o
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 am

I think the problem is that groundspeak likes to keep everything a secret until they actually spring it on people. Then they are surprised that people don't like it as much as groundspeak is telling them they should like it.

Souvenirs are a great example. If you go back and read their initial posts and announcements on the subject it seems that they thought we were all going to pass out from excitement. They didn't really think about the fact that nobody asked for them, and if they had actually done any focus group type work instead of keeping everything a huge secret for the months that they were doing all of the code work on souvenirs, they would have discovered that nobody wants them.
addisonbr

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 am

I think these are a really lame excuse for bringing back Virtuals!
I feel like they are just glorified Waymarks!
You think they would have learned from the waymarking site!

I agree with Brett, that not a lot of research was put into this project!
I don't mind that they add to your count but it would stink if they show up on a PQ!!

I've done 2 and they didn't even require me to leave the house!!!!!
Took a photo of a frog??

I did notice that there are a lot at Disney now.
At least they require you to take a photo in front of the castle or find a plague at the Haunted Mansion!
We happened to be down in Florida now but after this trip - who knows if we will do any more??

I did hide some Munzees in Downtown Disney and hope to hide some in the parks.
It will be interesting how long it takes for the Disney Staff to find then and remove them!

Oh Well!

Sparrows_Gold

PreviousNext

Return to GeoCaching