Have a iPhone 4S, will a GPSr help?

GPS Hardware and Software

Have a iPhone 4S, will a GPSr help?

Postby Taboo8614 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:29 am

I currently use a iPhone 4S for all my geocaching needs and I'm wondering if getting a dedicated handled GPS device is necessary at all. I currently am looking for caches that are in the NYC so tall buildings are a major issue for me. I recently used a "Endura Out&Back" and i compared it to my iPhone and found a few differences.

Endura Out&Back
    Cons
  • Took a long time to get a GPS and could not do it while moving (on the subway above ground)
  • Compass arrow was all over the place and never really pointed in the right direction (there was no physical or digital compass installed, it used GPS)
  • Had to preload caches
  • GUI was slow and hard to read plus buttons were hard to press
    Pros
  • Much better battery life
  • Very easy to creat a trail to track my walking history
  • More rugged
  • No annoyances of texts, emails and notifications
  • Trail log does not jump all over the place when compared to the iPhone 4S

iPhone 4S
    Cons
  • Battery life sucks! can only get a few hours at best
  • Compass requires constant calibration (classic figure-8 wave)
  • GPS trail jumps all over the place
  • Constantly annoyed/distracted by notifications of other apps
  • Can't get raw GPS data (limitation of iOS and the location API developers can use)
  • Case required to be rugged
    Pros
  • Online, no need to preload anything and can live post logs
  • GPS uses GLONASS satellites (Russian GPS satellites)
  • GPS uses Wireless networks to help lock location
  • Much better & free maps
  • Digital compass
I feel that having and iPhone 4S is defiantly enough to successfully geocache here in NYC but I want to get a dedicated GPS device. I really don't like the fact that my iPhone has bad battery life and is connected to all my texts and emails. Only thing is that I want to get a device that is as good if not better than my iPhone. the Out&Back sucked in the city but I really liked how it keeps a trail and the battery lasts for ever.

I would like to know what dedicated GPS devices out there will provide me with more accurate, true data. Im talking only RAW GPS plots, true digital compass and biometric altitude information. Price is not something I'm looking at i just want information on why some devices would be better than others. I don't see much of a difference between device is priced at $300 and devices priced around $600.

Thanks for all your feedback really looking for some good stuff here.
Taboo8614

Re: Have a iPhone 4S, will a GPSr help?

Postby halijusapa » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Well, there's the Trimbles the surveyors, etc. use but they won't go for $300-600 :D
halijusapa

Return to GPSr Related