colorado update...

GPS Hardware and Software

colorado update...

Postby pelagori » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 pm

don't get me wrong - i have used my colorado to find over 500 caches and its a sweet unit with great features for geocaching and great ergonomics. however i have been dis satisfied with an expensive toy that does not seem to perform as well as it should. returning down the same path i found the track 60' away from that on my inward journey. stationary i found it "jumpy" with the compass "spinning". it took too long at start-up to get a lock on satellites. all in all i thought it should be better.

recently i upgraded the s/w to version 3.20 and also took the two optional gps h/w driver patches. since then, the unit is transformed. the gps firmware still says 2.90 but all the problems appear to be fixed! earlier today i did stuyvesant cove. i got out of the subway at 23rd & park and walked briskly toward the cache. the gps got a lock on satellites before 3rd av and by the time i got to the fdr i had WAAS & 10 strong satellite signals for a reported 8' accuracy - on the streets of NYC!! i stood still watching it for a few minutes and the reading was steady with no change in location reported! this is a big change from prior behavior. outside my apartment in brooklyn just now i got a satellite lock in 10 seconds from switching the unit on!

colorado owners - upgrade to 3.20 and take the optional gps h/w patches!

version 3.20 is new - not even covered in the colorado wiki!

post your colorado gripes here and lets see if we can't get value for money out of our investment!
... pelagori (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Return to GPSr Related