Help Wanted Geocaching Camp

Help Wanted Geocaching Camp

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

Hi all--

If you remember from my dinering event and on previous posts on this forum, I announced that GNYC would be doing a GC camp this summer. This is the official announcement for Geocaching week at Ten Mile River Scout camps this summer (August 14-20). TMR is located about 120 miles from NYC in Narrowsburg NY in Sullivan County. If anyone is available to help out either a few days or the whole week or if you have scouts or Venturers who are interested in joining us, please let me know. I am particularly interested in puzzle cachers, night cachers, Earth cachers, and people willing to teach a session. We can provide 2 person wall tents or a cabin and meals are all in the dining hall. Scouting background is not necessary but you will need to take youth protection training on line.

http://www.tenmileriver.org/sc/geo/

I don't have everyone's e-mails so if you can pass the word, it would be most appreciated. There will be a TMR geocoin and some other neat souvenirs. We are hoping for 36 campers and leaders.

The rough plan is orientation Sunday night, Hunting caches on a known GC trail on Monday (1.5 miles long with about 30 caches of various types on it that I put in last year), classes on types of hides. Then scouts will be broken into groups who will plan and place a series of caches for the others to find. I would also like some puzzle caches in the mix and some night caches. Thursday will probably be a full day canoe trip on the Delaware River. I also want to go to State Game lands across the river in PA and do some 'live' caches there. The week will culminate with a GC gathering open to the GCing public at our museum on property making it a pot luck lunch of some type. Everything is still in discussion but we are getting closer to an actual program.

If you have questions or ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

John Pritchard
Tatanka49
GC Camp Program Director
Tatanka49

Return to 2011 Events