[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Aug 7-9 Midwest Geobash

Aug 7-9 Midwest Geobash

Aug 7-9 Midwest Geobash

Postby Tatanka49 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Okay, as long as we are talking about major events, is anyone beside me planning on going to the pirate themed Megaevent in Indiana? I am planing to camp and will regsiter as soon as they begin taking reservations. I can't carpool as I will be arriving from Wyoming. (I'm working with the Boy Scouts and the US Forest Service out there and you know I will get more smileys from at least 5 more states) Maybe we can have a metro NY camping area or lunch or something. I've never been to a mega bash and I am looking forward to this one.
Tatanka49

Re: Aug 7-9 Midwest Geobash

Postby Foxx1090 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:26 am

could we try to do one in westchester i have never been to an event cache?
Foxx1090

Postby lekogm » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 am

i would love to go, but traveling out to the site would be an issue for me.

And Foxx, there are people looking at having a Westchester event. If you want to speed up the process and throw one by all means feel free to. Just make sure you post the location, the date, and the time. I'd also suggest checking with the venue to make sure they can accommodate a potentially large number of people.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby paulo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:21 pm

paulo
Site Admin

Postby Tatanka49 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 am

Is there such a thing as Geocaching overload?

I arrived at the Fairgrounds on Thursday afternoon after traveling some 1200 miles from Wyoming (a story for another day) . I was greeted by a guy in a pirate suit who gave me directions. I had to find my campsite using coords. I registered and was given a goody bag and a schedule of events. They promised minimal WiFi...and that's what it was ... minimal to non-existant. It was like a dial up that was sending WiFi signals and it kept dropping off. Anyway, I was able to load about 50 local caches after midnight.

Friday was a day of caching. There was an 888 Flash mob at 8 am in a nearby shopping mall. I checked out the Trackables trading building and did a quick walk through the vendors building (usual crowd ... about a dozen in all) Lots of coin trading going on...not my thing...although I wished we had a metro coin...would have been a big seller. They also had many cars with TB tags/magnets lined up in one area. I had my tag on but left the car in my campsite. I decided to cache in then fternoon. I left the site about noon and by 8 pm, had completed 24. Many others were multis or puzzles and I decided that I didn't want to go that route. There was also an inbedded treasure hunt with maps, clues, etc, that I didn't do either. I ate dinner out and returned to 'Area 51' which is a campfire area (with 5 fires goinbg using pallets) and had bleachers. I chatted with a few cachers. Many surprised I was from NYC. Avoair's buddy (Herringer or something like that) was there. I thought I saw JBadger but his name was not listed unless he's going by a new moniker. At 10 pm,Area 51 is no longer family friendly when the booze bar opened and it got loud. I went to bed.

Saturday I lounged around. I went to a number of forums/workshops.
...There was one on Whereigo. They lost me in the technology.
... I went to a forum by and about reviewers. They answered a lot of questions and were very open and proud to be reviewers. This was an excellent forum. I aked the Geospeak Rep (MissJen) why the East Coast reviewers (such as NY Admn and Pofe) were so mysterious and big brotherish. She said that they were both shy and that on the East Coast, they are verbally abused in e-mails and want to keep that a secret so that they won't be physically or verbally abused in public. I said that it would just be nice to knbow who we are dealing with. Someone asked the reviewers can be increased. Her answer was that if caches are not being consistantly turned arouind in 72 hours, you can ask for a new reviewer to be added. Or, if the reviewer themselves ask for help. I thought that NYC and upstate was a big area for one person but GS didn't think so. One woman reviewer had North and South Dakota as her area and some of the bordering states.
... Another workshop was on GC101 conducted by the guy who runs the Geo-university web site. Good discussion. I gave him some ideas and he gave me some.
... Another session was on puzzle solving. Some interesting hints. I get frustrated with puzzles but he gave hints on how to solve 6 different types.

There was one more cache I had to hit. It required a team effort. The hint was '172 oz.' There was a pipe stuck in the ground about 5 1/2 feet tall and had a rubber cap on top. I pulled the cap and looked inside. Nothing. It took the cap apart. Nothing. I gave up. I discussed this with other cachers and then had to go back to give it another try. There were two 1-gallon jugs hidden near by. There were 4 holes drilled in the pipe. You had to get water, fill up the pipe while your team plugged the holes (maybe chewing gum or duct tape would have done as well) and the cache container then floated to the top.

It rained Saturday afternoon...heavy! For about 20 minutes. They took the group shot in the grandstands. There was about 2,000 people there. There was an Ice cream social that followed (sponsored by one of the vendors) and then more campfires and partying.

I left first thing Sunday morning to finish more DeLorme and County caches in NYS on Monday.

Would I go again? Maybe. But only if I'm in the area for something else. Would an east coast bash be a good idea? Yes. But it takes lots of planning.
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:55 pm

addisonbr

Postby Bonick0 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Sounds like a very fun event. And they had workshops. Pretty cool.
Bonick0

Return to 2010- Earlier Events