DASH 5 is coming!

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

DASH 5 is coming!

Postby addisonbr » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 am

Wanted to let folks know about an event in NYC on May 18th called DASH. It's not specifically geocaching-related, but for those who like geo-puzzles I think it will be a lot of fun. And I think there will be a fair number of nearby geocachers in attendance...

It's a puzzle hunt taking place in over a dozen cities nationwide, simultaneously (DASH stands for Different Area, Same Hunt). I've played in DASH before, and helped host the New York edition, and it is a lot of fun.

A few of the details haven't been finalized - but the date HAS. It's May 18th, here in New York. The registration page is now up (if you're interested, I strongly recommend getting teams together and registering to make sure that you have a spot - they are limited): http://www.playdash.org/DASH5/register.php

I am happy to answer ANY questions you might have about this. Here is a very miniature version of a FAQ with what I think are the most obvious questions:

- How long will it take? Most of the late morning / afternoon. You should be home in time for dinner.
- How big are the teams? 4 is a pretty good number, but anything from 3-5 is pretty reasonable.
- Does it cost anything? Yes - $15 per person to cover costs of puzzle production / etc. Any extra money that is raised is delivered to cities that ran a shortfall - this is not a money making operation by any stretch of the imagination.
- Is it competitive? Only if you want it to be. There is a scoring system available, but you're never on the clock when traveling between clue sites (so you don't have to sprint around like crazy people).
- What if it is too hard? There will be a generous hint system available for those who are stumped. Also - and this is a new addition for this year - there are two tracks of puzzles, one with standard puzzles for experienced solvers, and one with easier puzzles for new / less experienced players.

Get your teams together and register - and feel free to spread the word to others who might be interested (they don't have to be geocachers - anyone with a good sense of adventure will love this). It will be really fun.

http://www.playdash.org/DASH5/New-York-NY

Brett

PS - If you're interested in volunteering on May 18th rather than playing, that is totally cool too. Just let me know and I'll pass your info along.
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching