Clever Cache Ideas

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Clever Cache Ideas

Postby dolemite9 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 am

On a recent trip to England, came across a handful of caches that had a clever twist to them. Thought it may be fun to share with the board, and hopefully get other folks to post interesting ones they came across as well (though I'll bet there is likely already a Groundspeak forum topic in place along these lines).

The first one I'll list here deals with something near and dear to a good # of cachers: the elusive FTF. This cache idea/series throws a wrinkle in things in the form of a 'curse': GC1K6MX (GC1N994 is the one I actually came across in London). According to the listing, the idea originally came from the USA.

Bee Bait
dolemite9

Re: Clever Cache Ideas

Postby halijusapa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Wow, that looks very clever! You might want to repost this on Metro NY GC's Facebook wall, I think what's been going on is everyone seems to post on there. I think by the time I go through all the "new since I've last been on here" (which appears to be late May!) posts you and I will be the "last posters" for almost every thread since then, LOL!
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 am

At some point a couple of years ago, it seems that TPTB banished 'FTF curse' caches. It had to do with the quality of the caches that were being submitted as a result of the 'requirement' of the find. The relevant current part of the guidelines reads:
Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of new caches. This is considered an agenda and the listing will not be publishable.

and the reasoning from MissJenn (a groundspeak employee who often shows up in the forums to explain policy):

I agree with others who have said that the reviewers are not to blame for this decision: it is a Groundspeak guideline.

My strongly held opinion is that cache owners should not encourage finders to hide a new cache, as this often results in poorly planned new cache placements. Cache pages requiring or strongly encouraging the placement of new caches should not be published.

As an FTF hound I thought the idea was clever, but I guess I can see where gspeak is coming from.
addisonbr

Postby ruthny » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am

Please continue to post on these boards, locals and out-of-towners! There are those of us who DO check in here on a regular basis, and want to keep this place a living, breathing entity! Also, there are cachers who post here, who are not members of FaceBook or not members of the FB Geocachers group. Let's not limit our options for communication, but rather find every opportunity to expand them! Thanks for listening!
ruthny

Postby halijusapa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 am

addisonbr wrote:At some point a couple of years ago, it seems that TPTB banished 'FTF curse' caches. It had to do with the quality of the caches that were being submitted as a result of the 'requirement' of the find. The relevant current part of the guidelines reads:
Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of new caches. This is considered an agenda and the listing will not be publishable.

and the reasoning from MissJenn (a groundspeak employee who often shows up in the forums to explain policy):

I agree with others who have said that the reviewers are not to blame for this decision: it is a Groundspeak guideline.

My strongly held opinion is that cache owners should not encourage finders to hide a new cache, as this often results in poorly planned new cache placements. Cache pages requiring or strongly encouraging the placement of new caches should not be published.

As an FTF hound I thought the idea was clever, but I guess I can see where gspeak is coming from.

A really good example is the "Little Green Men" series that started in CT (there are a few in Westchester County). While there's still some really good caches placed by some veteran cachers that remain, many of them (including the original I believe) are long gone.....
halijusapa

Postby dolemite9 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 pm

1. As ruthny pointed out, I'm glad people are still actively using these boards. I've resisted facebook for a long time (and still am), thus am ignorant to what goes on there. Unfortunately, as it sounds rather an active place....

2. I'd have to say I disagree a bit about the FTF curse idea being problematic. FTF hunters (or 'hounds') tend to be very dedicated and experienced cachers. As such, I would expect that they would take their curse obligation seriously and not produce crummy hides. In general, I see the point re not encouraging the general caching community not to place hides for various reasons. But not for the FTF community...

3. Perhaps not clever per se, I thought this one is pretty interesting: GC3B8C7. I''d guess ten thousand people walk by within 10 feet of this cache on a daily basis. As of right now, it has 514 logged finds even though it was only hidden on 1/21/2012 (though it is on hiatus due to the Olympics). That is one busy cache! I'd hate to have to maintain that one.... Clever in that you'd never notice someone looking for it, as there are so many folks doing crazy stuff at GZ. But a bit shocking in that I'd think security-forces-that-be would (smartly?) frown upon placement in such a busy area.

4. To me, one of the least tasteful cache placements I've ever come across was GC2H7PT. How in the world was someone allowed to place a cache there? Cemetaries are one thing that folks likely have strong feeling about. But *on* a 9/11 memorial in the shadow of GZ? Ugh....

BB
dolemite9

Return to GeoCaching