Security alert bulletin

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Security alert bulletin

Postby slukster » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:52 pm

I work in the security industry in midtown and I received the following email from one of our security organizations:

Good morning,

We recently received information regarding a game called “Geo-Cache” in which participants claim to have hidden thousands of small “treasure boxes” in privately owned, public spaces throughout Manhattan. This is part of a long-standing, worldwide activity similar to a treasure hunt. On Wednesday, Geo-Cache participants called property management at a location in midtown Manhattan and gave them clues as to where they might find the “treasure” hidden on their property. The treasure box was later found in a sprinkler control valve (please see images below) and yesterday, another small treasure was found magnetically attached to a metal railing. While the boxes seem to contain harmless items, the incidents highlight the vulnerability of these spaces and the possibility that a nefarious item could be easily concealed at any of these locations around the city. This serves as a reminder to security personal to remain vigilant for any suspicious or noteworthy activity at their sites.

********* Security would like to thank the Paramount Group for providing us the information and for raising our awareness to this type of incident.

I haven't gone over to check it yet but I have this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=31f9d38f-7a9a-4bbb-a78f-897e68ab095b at Paramount Plaza and I have a feeling it is the one mentioned in the alert ("privately owned, public spaces" - POPS). It has received a couple of DNF's recently. WHAT no picture of my bison tube!! :( Any ideas of which cache is in the sprinkler control valve? It surely would eventually be found once they need to maintain the sprinkler system.

I also find it weird that "Geo-Cache participants called property management at a location in midtown Manhattan and gave them clues as to where they might find the “treasure” hidden on their property." I feel like maybe someone got caught in the act and had to explain what they were doing? Maybe they were friendly with the PM office and called their friend to have some fun? These alerts I receive aren't always 100% accurate.
slukster

Re: Security alert bulletin

Postby slukster » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Maybe this cacher had something to do with it?

slukster

Re: Security alert bulletin

Postby addisonbr » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Hmm... Thanks very much for posting that.

I thought I had found all of the midtown caches (POPS or otherwise) and I don't recognize those photos at all. They do look like they could be from a POPS-like space, the second photo in particular. But I still can't figure out which cache it would be. Anyone else have an idea?
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching