NYC "seed caching"?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

NYC "seed caching"?

Postby dolemite9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

On a recent trip in the New Mexican wilderness, the Mrs and I came across a "seed cache" (GCXCNN) that was part of the 'One Degree of Separation' project. The idea was that the cache contained smaller cache containers, which the finders would then go place out into the rest of the world. We thought this was a pretty cool idea, though it obviously has some potential drawbacks and won't work for everyone (e.g., hiding a cache takes a certain responsibility that not everyone into caching wants to sign up for). Unfortunately, all the 'seeds' in this particular cache were long gone. But to keep the idea alive, we dropped a nano container and picked up a fantastic rubber ducky that we hope to incorporate into a local NYC hide at some point as tribute.

I thought it would be interesting to try to start a discussion thread along these lines here. A few previous (and fairly old) Groundspeak threads exist that have some interesting points of view. I wonder if it might be worthwhile to consider some sort of seed project here in NYC, such as a mini-event for interested parties (rather than a seed 'cache' per se). Such might be appealing to visitors from out of town as well (e.g., a NYC seed cache to take back and place in their hometown).

Bee Bait
dolemite9

Re: NYC "seed caching"?

Postby addisonbr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm

You'd probably have to implement it in a different way than the ODoS project... Seed caches have been ruled against. From the Knowledge Books:

Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of caches, particularly chain-letter type series (find this, then plant another in the series). This is an agenda.

Doesn't mean some sort of project can't be accomplished in another way, like how you mentioned you might organize an event for interested folks.
addisonbr

Postby dolemite9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks addisonbr, that helps clarify things quite a bit.

Bummer! Though I ultimately agree with what I perceive as their logic; it would likely be a bad idea to have crummy caches (i.e., geotrash) either being submitted or even published simply because someone picked one up from a 'seed'.

It seems interesting to me though as to what precisely constitutes an 'agenda'. Obviously there is some degree of common sense involved here (e.g., CITO has got to be a good thing ultimately, right?), but therein lies some degree of fuzziness. When would an 'event cache' become one that is deemed as having an unacceptable 'agenda'? I assume these things are likely already spelled out in the rules somewhere... (e.g., when precisely something or another is sufficiently being 'promoted' to the point of fault).

But given that geocaching is is largely grassroots/volunteer driven (right?), I would think it would benefit things to have some sort of organized means to collectively (and effectively) create new caches. I wonder: would a reviewer not publish an event cache that called for people to come together in the context of a 'seed' event (because it promotes an 'agenda')?

BB
dolemite9

Postby halijusapa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 pm

The last "seed project" I can think of in the metro area was Connecticut's "Little Green Men" series a few years ago, several caches also made their way into Westchester (though none reached the boros).
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:00 pm

halijusapa wrote:(though none reached the boros)

I found one in Queens, hidden by peeves... GC18DXY
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 am

addisonbr wrote:
halijusapa wrote:(though none reached the boros)

I found one in Queens, hidden by peeves... GC18DXY

Forgot about that one, thanks for noting.

BTW, I didn't know that TBTP discouraged (or banned?) this, when did that happen?
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:24 am

halijusapa wrote:BTW, I didn't know that TBTP discouraged (or banned?) this, when did that happen?

When the new ALR guidelines were introduced, so back to 2009 I guess?
addisonbr

Postby mmacgown » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 pm

I actually own a ODoS cache in Welwyn Preserve here on Long Island. It's called One Degree of Separation - Happy New Year! It was based upon a cache Bob and I found in February of 2008: GCWE4E - ODS:DYFEN. Mine was published right at the end of 2008 and has spawned a couple of caches, by Bob, Barb and the Ferreteers. If there are others, I am unaware of it. Not sure if a new one would be published today. But, I did have to make a it a suggestion, rather than a requirement, to place a cache, taking one of the film cans that I had supplied, ready made to be planted for those who might want to participate.
Now, it you want to promote players placing caches, host an event and give out containers to those attending. A number will take and place one they've received at an event. More for us to find then! :D
mmacgown

Postby Rant666 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:32 pm

There's a new one of these in Jersey called "The geocache that keeps us caching" GC3FCFY
Rant666

Return to GeoCaching