Unusual request from out of state cacher

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Unusual request from out of state cacher

Postby slukster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 pm

Over the years I have received many requests from out of state cachers asking for advice on caching in the city and I always help them out the best that I can. I received the following email over the holiday weekend from a cacher in Indiana:

Hello, *********** here from North Vernon, Indiana. I have found all of the caches within a a reasonable walk from the EWR Wyndham Garden Inn since this summer. I have been trying to make it to 100 consecutive days with a find (I am currently on day 87). I shot myself in the foot by finding all of the caches close to the hotel early on and I know the weather isn't very dependable this time of year. I'm going to have two short layovers in EWR next week (airline crew) and was hoping you might do a cacher a big favor and place a cache or two somewhere within a short walk of the hotel (maybe Weequahic Park) or the Jersey Gardens Mall (I can get a ride there from the hotel shuttle). I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, ***

I thought this was kind of ballsy request. Did anyone else who hides in NJ receive this email? The cacher has thousands of finds all around the states. To tell you the truth if it was convenient for me to get over to that area to hide one I would try to help him out, even dedicate it to him. But since it is not I just wrote him back and said that it is too far and inconvenient for me to help him out. What do you think?
slukster

Re: Unusual request from out of state cacher

Postby lefalaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 am

I got the exact same message, character for character, on Nov 26, 2011, at 10:11 PM from this same cacher.

Totally agree that it was ballsy / arrogant / etc. My first thought was WTF? If your idea of a streak is for someone to serve it up to you on a silver platter...

Rather than tell the cacher how much I disagreed with his approach / boldness / arrogance, I simply said that I don't live near there (not even in the state) and left it at that.

Now that I see that he cut and pasted his request and sent it to at least two folks (and probably more), I feel even better about declining. And maybe wish I had kindly explained why what he is requesting is less than kosher.
lefalaf

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Wow! I got the same email!
I even asked my Wife, if she thought it was arrogant!
We both thought it was!!!
We didn't answer him back.
I'm glad to see that it went to others - so I don't feel bad.

Some people don't care what they ask others to do!

Oh Well!
Sparrows_Gold

Postby dolemite9 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:05 am

I have a cache on Deer Island right outside Boston (GC3198N) that just got a recent log from a cacher from North Vernon, IN. Could it be the same one? If so, they were on Day 99 of their streak yesterday. That means today is going to be their big day!!

BB
dolemite9

Postby lefalaf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:09 am

Here's another one which just came in today. In the subject line was the GC code for my puzzle cache in Manhattan. Based on the PS in the message, it sounds like they emailed every CO who has a puzzle on the island for the final coords. (and that apparently they've come up against a mass mailing block from GC...) WTF?

I bluntly told them to ignore the puzzles if they don't want to spend the time to even give them a try.

Hello

We are a couple of geocachers - xxxxxxxxx, that will be on vacations at NYC and today we were looking for caches to do and we realize that most of them are mistery ones!
So, forgive us for our frontality, because we are writting to ask/implore;) for the final coordinates, so we can do that ones to, without spend to mucht time and because we dont have that time, right now and less time we'll have there.

We understand if you disagree and don´t send us the final solutions, but we don't lose anything by asking that;)

Thank u so much and hope to hear from u soon on our e-mail: xxxxxx@gmail.com or xxxxxxx@gmail.com (xxxxxx)

Best wishes and happy Xmas
xxxxxxx, portugal ;)

PS - i'm sending that message through my e-mail adress, because using geocaching.com, i can't send so many requests
lefalaf

Postby addisonbr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 am

Yep, same message word-for-word. Except for the part about getting throttled; I guess their message to me was early enough in the process that they didn't run into that yet.

I sent them a KML file with the final locations for all of the hidden finals I know about on Manhattan (obviously not including a few puzzles I haven't solved yet).* I'm also sending each of them both a Platinum and an Onyx Dastardly Pathtag.**

* Kidding
** Still kidding
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

lefalaf wrote:(and that apparently they've come up against a mass mailing block from GC...)

Explains why I didn't get it. I thought they just didn't like me. :D

There are PLENTY of caches in Manhattan to keep anybody occupied for weeks without ever having to solve a puzzle. I have no sympathy.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 am

addisonbr wrote:Yep, same message word-for-word. Except for the part about getting throttled; I guess their message to me was early enough in the process that they didn't run into that yet.

I sent them a KML file with the final locations for all of the hidden finals I know about on Manhattan (obviously not including a few puzzles I haven't solved yet).* I'm also sending each of them both a Platinum and an Onyx Dastardly Pathtag.**

* Kidding
** Still kidding

Ha!
lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:09 am

I give them credit for at least being honest and saying (in effect), "we understand if you say no"...... ;) :roll:
halijusapa

Return to GeoCaching