Finds in New York County

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Finds in New York County

Postby Harry Dolphin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Someone, who seems to have missed something, started a thread http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285785 saying that there a re number of caches near Battery Park that are 'for children only'. I'm thinking that I have never seen such. With 298 finds in New York County (as opposed to 'Manhattan' :lol: ) in over seven years, I'm thinking I've got to be pretty high on the list of Finders of Caches in New York County. Wondering what other cachers' stats are on this. And if anyone's ever heard of a cache 'For Childen Only'.
(Of course, I'm staying away from caches in most New York City Parks these days... So that may change.)
Harry Dolphin

Re: Finds in New York County

Postby CTForester » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 pm

SRSLY?
CTForester

Postby ruthny » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm

The only cache in NYC that I know of, where the CO requests children only is: http://coord.info/GC1R67Y

Both in it's current incarnation, and the one before, this CO has been adamant on this point. but, other than that, I know of no software or listing service that labels caches "for children only..."
ruthny

Postby addisonbr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Harry Dolphin wrote:With 298 finds in New York County (as opposed to 'Manhattan' :lol: ) in over seven years, I'm thinking I've got to be pretty high on the list of Finders of Caches in New York County. Wondering what other cachers' stats are on this.

My first guess is that you aren't just "pretty high" but are probably #1.

What's the easiest way for me to find out how many caches in New York County I've got? GSAK macro?
addisonbr

Postby Harry Dolphin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:58 am

I'm not sure what software my brother runs the My Finds through, but I think it's on GSAK. My profile has county maps for a few states, clickable to show finds per county.
Harry Dolphin

Postby addisonbr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Took me a little bit to get it figured out, but I finally got it. GSAK thinks I have 354 in New York County.

It makes me think Marilyn has to have more than that...
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:59 am

Is he confused about the purpose of the "Kid Friendly" attribute?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:11 am

Child Of Atom wrote:Is he confused about the purpose of the "Kid Friendly" attribute?

I think what happened this that the guy who owns the cache Ruth linked to got mad that the cache had gotten muggled or something and maybe decided that it had something to do with adults looking for the cache and getting it compromised. I found it when it was called "Find a Toy Leave a Toy" but now it's called "Do a Good Deed or Don't Check out this Geocache!" and the first line of the short description reads: "This cache is meant for CHILDREN!!!!!!"

Since a lot of GPSr's will display the first bit of the short description, I think when the OP in the other forums pulled the cache up on his handheld, he was greeted by the waypoint number, the cache name, and someone yelling about ALL-CAPS CHILDREN!!!!!!!

I can't rule out the possibility that the CO in question is a kid himself.
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching