Best Log Thread

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Best Log Thread

Postby dolemite9 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:22 am

I wasn't sure if there was a thread where folks could post a nod to some of the more memorable logs they've come across (my apologies if so), so here this one goes.

Now no disrespect to gerkmax, who has some legendary log writing skills, I may have a new favorite: the FTF log by KIAX for GC34YN5. I may never be able to get the image of a wildcat with sparkly rubies prowling about the Palisades out of my head. Plus, the dynamic range of emoticons (as well as their various colors and semi-awkward placement) used was extraordinary. Classic. Thanks KIAX!!

BB
dolemite9

Re: Best Log Thread

Postby addisonbr » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:08 am

There's no other thread that I know of, so this is a good start. There is, however, a category of "Best Log" that was started last year in the Metro recognition awards. Here were last year's nominees:

Best Log
Inwood Hill Park - ZP1 by zpuca, amypuca, logs by gerkmax and childofatom (Most votes!)
Owls Nest by BUGLET21, log by Behistun
Pill Popper NYC by lefalaf, log by addisonbr
Red Lantern Corps by gerkmax, log by childofatom
Stein-Goldie Triangle by *Jeremy*, log by cookiequeen

Here are a few I've took notice of so far this year:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 2af4ac600d
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... ffda954be2
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 04bb097618
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 19952a80b4
addisonbr

Postby BLAA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm

WOW - how do you find these logs? These are all terrific. Recommended reading to be sure.
BLAA

Postby dolemite9 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:21 am

In the shameless sake of providing a bump, I'll note that some of my most favorite reads come from caches that are in very remote/exotic places. For example, GC2ERRT used to have a fantastic log from a German cacher which now seems missing. Still, this has got to be one hell of a cache to track down (as an historical aside, this area has significant Soviet/Gulag history).

Other fun notables include:
- GC1CJQV (this one was hidden nearly 3.5 years ago and still has yet to be found!)

- GCK35W (an easy, breezy 1/1, which one logger noted as 'Easy enough to find that we found it on accident while doing archaeological survey. The hard part is getting to Kiska!', or the even more endearing 'Note to others: The coordinates listed here are incorrect. You'll have to change it to E. It is now listed in the western hemisphere W which is incorrect.')

- GC14C3 (hidden in the wee early days of geocaching infancy, this one also still has yet to be found; note that it took about 5 years for someone to post a truly shameless 'first to log!', but even better is the cacher who briefly noted 'I gave this one a try while passing by' and the fact that this cache is quite literally in the absolute middle of nowhere!!)

BB
dolemite9

Postby halijusapa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 am

dolemite9 wrote:In the shameless sake of providing a bump, I'll note that some of my most favorite reads come from caches that are in very remote/exotic places. For example, GC2ERRT used to have a fantastic log from a German cacher which now seems missing. Still, this has got to be one hell of a cache to track down (as an historical aside, this area has significant Soviet/Gulag history).

Other fun notables include:
- GC1CJQV (this one was hidden nearly 3.5 years ago and still has yet to be found!)

- GCK35W (an easy, breezy 1/1, which one logger noted as 'Easy enough to find that we found it on accident while doing archaeological survey. The hard part is getting to Kiska!', or the even more endearing 'Note to others: The coordinates listed here are incorrect. You'll have to change it to E. It is now listed in the western hemisphere W which is incorrect.')

- GC14C3 (hidden in the wee early days of geocaching infancy, this one also still has yet to be found; note that it took about 5 years for someone to post a truly shameless 'first to log!', but even better is the cacher who briefly noted 'I gave this one a try while passing by' and the fact that this cache is quite literally in the absolute middle of nowhere!!)

BB

The thing I find most amazing about caches like the one you mentioned is that someone got there to hide it in the first place!
halijusapa

Postby dolemite9 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 am

Fantastic new log by Behistun for GC2EX4T.

BB

PS Tempted to see if I can go on a mission to find that archived multi. It sounds pretty epic!
dolemite9

Postby dolemite9 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:26 pm

Another great one is not a specific log per se, but a specific cache. None other than Bridges & Arches of Central Park (GC17MX1) by addisonbr. This is one of those caches that is just so great, pretty much everyone that finds it takes the time to write out a great log detailing some aspects of their adventure. Lots of great log reading there for those so inclined. Well done (and definitely required caching for any that live in the greater NYC area).

BB
dolemite9

Postby dolemite9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am

Ooh, another good one with a whole array of fantastic logs: GC2CFKA. I want to see if we can track this one down ourselves and create a fantastical tale all of our own. Note the "Hardest cache to find on the East Coast" comment, but most endearing is the part about the puppy barking (I wonder if it is still in the cache, or if someone has taken it already)....

BB
dolemite9

Postby halijusapa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 pm

dolemite9 wrote:Ooh, another good one with a whole array of fantastic logs: GC2CFKA. I want to see if we can track this one down ourselves and create a fantastical tale all of our own. Note the "Hardest cache to find on the East Coast" comment, but most endearing is the part about the puppy barking (I wonder if it is still in the cache, or if someone has taken it already)....

BB

I have to say, if it was in NY, our "good friend" NY Admin probably wouldn't publish it (killjoy! :evil: ) I'm surprised more people don't road trip to this one so they can (ha ha heh heh) claim a "5/5" in their caching stats ;)
halijusapa

Postby dolemite9 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Another interesting one of note is GCDFB (4.5lb Walleye), which someone commented on as 'On August 24th 2010, this became the oldest unfound active cache'. Considering that the CO specifies the cache as a 'Red plastic cache' and the hint states '75 +- yards from river bank, Opposite east channel of island, Base of spruce tree, To right of small stand of cedar trees, Under rock, moss at base of tree' combined with the fact that a. this cache is in the middle of nowhere and b. that places likely flooded numerous times over the last 11+ years (damn you global climate change!), this post here might have also been appropriate for the 'Worst Container Thread' as well!

BB

PS Note the terrain clocking in at a modest 2.5. Clearly this cache is easier to get to than GC1BE91 (which actually has been logged at least once!)
dolemite9

Postby halijusapa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 pm

dolemite9 wrote:Another interesting one of note is GCDFB (4.5lb Walleye), which someone commented on as 'On August 24th 2010, this became the oldest unfound active cache'. Considering that the CO specifies the cache as a 'Red plastic cache' and the hint states '75 +- yards from river bank, Opposite east channel of island, Base of spruce tree, To right of small stand of cedar trees, Under rock, moss at base of tree' combined with the fact that a. this cache is in the middle of nowhere and b. that places likely flooded numerous times over the last 11+ years (damn you global climate change!), this post here might have also been appropriate for the 'Worst Container Thread' as well!

BB

PS Note the terrain clocking in at a modest 2.5. Clearly this cache is easier to get to than GC1BE91 (which actually has been logged at least once!)

I always wonder with caches like GCDFB is how the HIDER got to the location to begin with (and just realized I said this a few months ago earlier in this thread LOL). Of course, given that the CO has never found (or at least logged) a cache and has only hidden this one, also wonder if (being the early days of geocaching) if it was all a prank and the admins didn't think about if there really was a cache placed there (I did notice that the CO was on the gc.com site earlier this year though).
halijusapa

Return to GeoCaching