Challenges - Thoughts?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Re: Challenges - Thoughts?

Postby halijusapa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 am

addisonbr wrote:The last few months, I just don't get it. They're plowing all of their resources into trying to be some sort of other kind of social media site. Did anyone ever actually ask for souvenirs? And these challenges are just a hot mess. There are lots of crappily thought-out location-based games out there, I guess I should try some of the others to see if there's anything out there that is more up my alley than whatever it is that geo-foursquare-facebook is becoming.

Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?

They like too many other sites, think everyone online is 15-24 years old and they feel the need to stay 'cool'........ :oops: :mrgreen:
(not meant to insult anyone here who is that age group, we all were once, I just think it's ironic since they once did a study that said the median age of geocachers was about 40)

Anyway, you have to open each log individually and you'll see the date, how novel..... :evil:

Child Of Atom wrote:I don't understand their criteria for what is staying and what is going... they deleted the "find a cache one." But they seem to be okay with "Find 5 Caches." Ruth issued a challenge to place a non-nano or micro on Manhattan, and it was deleted... which I guess I can understand since it wasn't location specific? But they also deleted one that was to play a game at the Chess and Checkers house in Central Park... which is essentially the same as the Challenge they are using as an example (Playing a game of chess at some museum in Seattle.) What was wrong with that one? I'm mystified by all this.

Actually, if you read the FAQ, TPTB are not going to really delete at all, it simply warns that if a challenge gets too many "no" votes it will be deleted. When I first saw Ruth's challenge, it had 1 yes vote (I became "#2") and 10 no votes. But I think many with legitimate gripes about Challenges are making shell "accounts" to try and be negative to delete things (more later in this post)

addisonbr wrote:
lefalaf wrote:
addisonbr wrote:Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?

I took a look at twitter and facebook and they list the actual dates, so not sure where the twit who decided to do this at groundspeak got the idea.

We are not alone in hating this new change:
http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7 ... aching.com

Wow, that feedback topic can only be a day-ish old and it's already the second-most voted thing in the history of the site. By the end of the day today it will likely be number one. That's amazing.

Someone yesterday posted a topic to alternatively get rid of challenges or move them to another site (ala waymarking I suppose) and it got over 1000 votes in an hour. Then Jeremy posted a mildly snarky reply, and a couple of hours after that deleted the topic altogether.

There's "not listening to your customers" and then theres "really not listening to your customers because you delete all threads you disagree with".

Half true....initially Twitter/FB does things like "a minute ago", "an hour ago", etc. but if/when the post gets "old enough" eventually uses the actual date.

I've long railed how Jeremy does not listen to customers at all and even used to use the courts to try to stop competition in response. But this takes the cake.....first virts are taken away because of (amongst other things) "armchair caching", now he won't change them/force them to stay because........people want them to go due to "armchair caching". I'm starting to think that he actually did this to stop "numbers fiends" by making their stats irrelevent and though I had long disagreed, I'm now wonder if it should be kept separate from caching stats. By the way, since it's deleted now, what was Jeremy's reply?

Finally, I think there are "shell accounts" of people are creating to try and vote out challenges. My first challenge has 1 yes vote and 1 no vote (for fun, I looked to see if it would let me, the CO, vote and it did! Another major flaw......). The no vote was from a now deleted account called "No More Challenges" that had no geocaching logs whatsoever.

I was really looking forward to the return of virts, but this is looking like a disaster......maybe they should've never removed them back in 2006 to begin with and just find a way to tweak it a bit.....
halijusapa

Postby Kbd71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 am

"Take your Buddha statue for a bike ride"

New Challenge?
Kbd71

Postby addisonbr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 am

halijusapa wrote:By the way, since it's deleted now, what was Jeremy's reply?

The posted topic was something like "Get rid of challenges, they're not geocaching, or at least move them to another site - thanks".

Jeremy's reply was "They're staying on gc.com. If you don't like them, don't do them." And then it was locked (so you couldn't join the 1000+ votes that had piled up in the first hour), and by the end of the night deleted altogether.
addisonbr

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:
lefalaf wrote:About 30 miles from me, someone's already posted one where the challenge is to write your handle on posterboard and stand in front of walmart. WTF?

Sweet Buddha on a bike... that's some Waymarking crap right there.

Another popped up in the same area (that must be the same CO, but I can't tell since GC removed the owner info now) that asks you to go into Lowes and sit on one of the display model toilets with a sign containing your handle and take a photo - yeah, that's loads of fun... This guy's caches are often the same level of mentality. Though when he did change one of his cache pages after pub. to tell the user to take a photo with an indoor table at the dunkin donuts where he works and not bother finding the cache under said table, Ben got an email and it was promptly archived.
Last edited by lefalaf on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:
addisonbr wrote:Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?

Oh, I don't like THAT at all.

You can see the date if you click through, but still... that's silly.

I voted for the thread to fix this one back to real dates and so just got a notice that it is being fixed today. 5192 votes in a day! :shock:
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 pm

Kbd71 wrote:"Take your Buddha statue for a bike ride"

New Challenge?

Those who complete it will get one of these:
http://www.zazzle.es/boton_de_buda_en_b ... 5251675240
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 pm

halijusapa wrote:Finally, I think there are "shell accounts" of people are creating to try and vote out challenges. My first challenge has 1 yes vote and 1 no vote (for fun, I looked to see if it would let me, the CO, vote and it did! Another major flaw......). The no vote was from a now deleted account called "No More Challenges" that had no geocaching logs whatsoever.

How did you see who put in the No vote?
lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 pm

lefalaf wrote:
halijusapa wrote:Finally, I think there are "shell accounts" of people are creating to try and vote out challenges. My first challenge has 1 yes vote and 1 no vote (for fun, I looked to see if it would let me, the CO, vote and it did! Another major flaw......). The no vote was from a now deleted account called "No More Challenges" that had no geocaching logs whatsoever.

How did you see who put in the No vote?

I apologize, I didn't, what happened is one actually "completed it" and it gave that name ("ChallengesAreDumb" was the account name), I was mistaken. Seemed like a very strange account given its name and lack of geocache stats, so I assumed it was the same person who voted no. Sorry for the confusion.
halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm

halijusapa wrote:"ChallengesAreDumb" was the account name.

Yes, ChallengesAreDumb is a troll who has been logging every single challenge and downvoting them all.

BTW: From Jeremy's facebook wall:

The date is coming back to cache logs. We're also archiving the kiss a frog challenge and sticking to location-specific ones in the future. As with any new activity we are experimenting with ideas and responding to the community as we hear from them. There are some areas where we won't compromise on, especially so early in the activity.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm

"Take a picture of you from the Empire State Building By imitating KING KONG"
http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CXA43

Does this mean that I have to scale the outside (cool a T5 challenge!) and yank a female out of one of the offices on the way up?

FTF Prize - Internationally famous, and an all-expense paid trip to Cuba! (gitmo) :D
lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 am

Looks like Jeremy fixed the dates, yay! :)

Also looks like Bryan Roth, the lesser known co-founder of Groundspeak with Jeremy, posted something on Groundspeak's "Latitude 47" blog about the whole Challenges reaction. Kind of a fair but far from perfect assessment that at least starts to listen to user complaints, though the more interesting thing is the comments many gave after.

I think the gist of this is that the solution if they really listen to everyone is going to be either to count the stats separate (ironically, something that was how it was at least going to begin, but changed because everyone said it should add to your stats) or to make it a separate site or use it to prop up Waymarking.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/08/geoc ... e-feedback
halijusapa

Postby Bonick0 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:52 pm

I finally had time to read up on challenges. What kinda crap is this? And why does it count toward the total? I like the Virtuals and Earth caches because they bring you to interesting and unusual locations where a physical container may not be feasible. You get to learn something historic or geological, discover a fun spot and get credit for it. That's certainly not "caching", but I'm not going to pass on a smilie.

I assumed this was going to be the DeLorme grid type of challenges or find 5 types of caches in a day challenge. The challenge of taking a photo of yourself with stuff is really not worth credit. There are currently 3 challenges listed involving statue of liberty. Really? One just wasn't enough? I fear for NYC being overrun with this idiocy and I sure hope they won't be showing up on the caching map - that would be a complete disaster.

Groundspeak seems set on keeping them so hopefully they'll listen to everyone's feedback and narrow down the focus of challenges to make them more outdoor and caching related. And this point I have no interest in being involved.
Bonick0

Postby halijusapa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Ironically, many times today the GC.com website was slow if not downright "locked up".......sounds like the way it was on weekends just before they got rid of Locationless, etc. back in the day....... :o
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 am

I think the problem is that groundspeak likes to keep everything a secret until they actually spring it on people. Then they are surprised that people don't like it as much as groundspeak is telling them they should like it.

Souvenirs are a great example. If you go back and read their initial posts and announcements on the subject it seems that they thought we were all going to pass out from excitement. They didn't really think about the fact that nobody asked for them, and if they had actually done any focus group type work instead of keeping everything a huge secret for the months that they were doing all of the code work on souvenirs, they would have discovered that nobody wants them.
addisonbr

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 am

I think these are a really lame excuse for bringing back Virtuals!
I feel like they are just glorified Waymarks!
You think they would have learned from the waymarking site!

I agree with Brett, that not a lot of research was put into this project!
I don't mind that they add to your count but it would stink if they show up on a PQ!!

I've done 2 and they didn't even require me to leave the house!!!!!
Took a photo of a frog??

I did notice that there are a lot at Disney now.
At least they require you to take a photo in front of the castle or find a plague at the Haunted Mansion!
We happened to be down in Florida now but after this trip - who knows if we will do any more??

I did hide some Munzees in Downtown Disney and hope to hide some in the parks.
It will be interesting how long it takes for the Disney Staff to find then and remove them!

Oh Well!
Sparrows_Gold

PreviousNext

Return to GeoCaching