Challenges - Thoughts?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Re: Challenges - Thoughts?

Postby lefalaf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:EDIT: And it's been deleted. Ha! I wonder what happens to the "find count" for the people that logged it?

It remains -
I stumbled across one called Climb A Tree. Silly and lame as it felt to log without doing anything [new], I logged it anyway and posted a pic of myself climbing a tree. The server replied with something to the effect of the challenge being archived. But it took and still shows on my profile. Would have probably been better to be location specific - at least encourage people to get out and do something interesting.

About 30 miles from me, someone's already posted one where the challenge is to write your handle on posterboard and stand in front of walmart. WTF?

I have mixed feelings - my gut feeling is that this could become as bad as waymarking (the walmart one is a good example), but then again if the junk gets autoarchived quickly after enough people flag it...

Just like junk caches (define that however you prefer), I don't see myself doing many of them unless there are some really cool ones which emerge.

I posted one myself to see what happens. You need to take a watercraft into a cave, and explore down there to find an underground lake (a map is provided), then take a photo of yourself floating on the lake. There are enough crazies nearby that someone will probably do that before too much time passes and it is a really neat place to climb around and explore if you like spelunking. I believe we should complete our own challenges first so I have and there is a photo posted to prove it as an example. But in reality this is a stand by to share the place while I await permission for a real multicache, if I ever manage to actually obtain it.
lefalaf

Postby halijusapa » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, for the heck of it, I just published a challenge, but only because I think it is a neat and unique little place and there used to be a cache there (and in a spot that's a great starting point for finding other nearby caches):

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX404

I see they have new CX numbers like the old "GC" numbers. So does this mean in 10 years having only 1-4 digits after the CX will make it a "shrine"? :lol: :P :oops:
halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:32 pm

lefalaf wrote:About 30 miles from me, someone's already posted one where the challenge is to write your handle on posterboard and stand in front of walmart. WTF?

Sweet Buddha on a bike... that's some Waymarking crap right there.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:
lefalaf wrote:About 30 miles from me, someone's already posted one where the challenge is to write your handle on posterboard and stand in front of walmart. WTF?

Sweet Buddha on a bike... that's some Waymarking crap right there.

Now if my Buddha statue suddenly gets up and takes my bike for a ride... :shock:

Enter the sock puppets...
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... e1fc6794b5
lefalaf

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't understand their criteria for what is staying and what is going... they deleted the "find a cache one." But they seem to be okay with "Find 5 Caches." Ruth issued a challenge to place a non-nano or micro on Manhattan, and it was deleted... which I guess I can understand since it wasn't location specific? But they also deleted one that was to play a game at the Chess and Checkers house in Central Park... which is essentially the same as the Challenge they are using as an example (Playing a game of chess at some museum in Seattle.) What was wrong with that one? I'm mystified by all this.

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Fail.
addisonbr

Postby lefalaf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:I don't understand their criteria for what is staying and what is going... they deleted the "find a cache one." But they seem to be okay with "Find 5 Caches." Ruth issued a challenge to place a non-nano or micro on Manhattan, and it was deleted... which I guess I can understand since it wasn't location specific? But they also deleted one that was to play a game at the Chess and Checkers house in Central Park... which is essentially the same as the Challenge they are using as an example (Playing a game of chess at some museum in Seattle.) What was wrong with that one? I'm mystified by all this.

This might be a function of the community policing concept. In the faq there is a statement "How do I report a Challenge that is inappropriate?
On each Challenge page there is a link to flag the Challenge as spam, unplayable or for offensive or prohibited content. If a Challenge is flagged enough times it becomes permanently unavailable." When you attempt this via the little red flag, you get options of spam, unplayable, offensive, or prohibited as the type of flag. I suspect these may be weighted differently, such that (for instance) prohibited will archive immediately, but flagging as spam may require 3 or 5 users to state that before it is archived. But it's just speculation - I have yet to see a schedule of how powerful each of the options are.

Btw, I think Ruth's idea was a great one as it enhances the core sport of geocaching in Manhattan. Anyone who places a larger cache on the island (so long as they aren't placed poorly simply for the sake of the challenge) should be duly rewarded. :)
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:32 pm

addisonbr wrote:Fail.

Indeed. They should remove these and make the old style challenge caches (e.g. find 6 cache types in a day; find a cache in all counties) an official type, and with the normal approvals process.

Kiss a Frog - Is that the best example they could think of?
lefalaf

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Spoke too soon. The "Find 5 Caches" one is gone.

I think we have determined that they certainly DO NOT want these to be related to standard caching.

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 pm

The last few months, I just don't get it. They're plowing all of their resources into trying to be some sort of other kind of social media site. Did anyone ever actually ask for souvenirs? And these challenges are just a hot mess. There are lots of crappily thought-out location-based games out there, I guess I should try some of the others to see if there's anything out there that is more up my alley than whatever it is that geo-foursquare-facebook is becoming.

Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 pm

addisonbr wrote:Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?

Oh, I don't like THAT at all.

You can see the date if you click through, but still... that's silly.

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby lefalaf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:I think we have determined that they certainly DO NOT want these to be related to standard caching.

I saw a note on the feedback site earlier from Jeremy to the effect of wanting to find new ways to get people outdoors outside of normal caching.

As well as a variety of other notes form him that this isn't going to change. The impression he's given is that they've made their decision and it's final.

Ironically, what they've done is recreate a new venue for armchair "caches", like their kiss a frog... Those who care about numbers are livid.
lefalaf

Postby lefalaf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 am

addisonbr wrote:Have you noticed that dates for cache logs don't show up anymore? When I look at the logs for Snug as a Bug, now instead of 4/15/2011 it says something like "about four months ago". Why? I can only imagine because that's how Twitter and Facebook do it? And so... what the heck?

I took a look at twitter and facebook and they list the actual dates, so not sure where the twit who decided to do this at groundspeak got the idea.

We are not alone in hating this new change:
http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7 ... aching.com
lefalaf

Postby addisonbr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 am

lefalaf wrote:

I took a look at twitter and facebook and they list the actual dates, so not sure where the twit who decided to do this at groundspeak got the idea.

We are not alone in hating this new change:
http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7 ... aching.com

Wow, that feedback topic can only be a day-ish old and it's already the second-most voted thing in the history of the site. By the end of the day today it will likely be number one. That's amazing.

Someone yesterday posted a topic to alternatively get rid of challenges or move them to another site (ala waymarking I suppose) and it got over 1000 votes in an hour. Then Jeremy posted a mildly snarky reply, and a couple of hours after that deleted the topic altogether.

There's "not listening to your customers" and then theres "really not listening to your customers because you delete all threads you disagree with".
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 am

I think they made a simple but huge misstep here: Releasing this with only "Kiss a Frog" in the database. It set up the wrong expectation, and as we've seen people mimic what they are shown. The caches you find are the caches you hide. If they had taken the time (5 minutes?) to set up 20 or 30 acceptable Challenges around the world, in the caching hotspots so that people could see what the hell this is supposed to look like they might be getting better returns now.

So, instead of the virtuals that everyone (not me.) wanted we got a huge replacement for locationless.

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

PreviousNext

Return to GeoCaching