Calling all puzzlers!

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Calling all puzzlers!

Postby addisonbr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Wanted to let folks know about an event in NYC on April 30th called DASH. It's not specifically geocaching-related, but for those who like geo-puzzles I think it will be a lot of fun. And I think there will be a fair number of nearby geocachers in attendance...

It's a puzzle hunt taking place in over a dozen cities nationwide, simultaneously (DASH stands for Different Area, Same Hunt). I've played in DASH before, and competed in similar events like it on the West Coast, and it is a lot of fun.

This spring, I'm running / hosting the NYC edition of the event. We've been working really hard on it and I think it's going to be VERY awesome.

A few of the details haven't been finalized - but the date HAS. It's April 30th, here in New York. Historically, New York has been one of the least-attended cities for DASH - despite our population (biggest city in the country!), and despite the very active puzzlers in the area. I'm really hoping that changes under my watch - I would love nothing more than to blow the other cities away on attendance, and in tapping into the geocaching community I think we've got a good shot at that. In fact, in anticipation I've already called in some favors and am flying some experienced Game Control folks from around the country in to help me run the clue sites on DASH day. We will be prepared.

The website isn't completely finished yet, but we did just put up a pre-registration page a few days ago. This will hold your place in line between now and when "actual" registration starts in March. I strongly recommend getting teams together and pre-registering to make sure that you have a spot - (they are limited).

I am happy to answer ANY questions you might have about this. Here is a very miniature version of a FAQ with what I think are the most obvious questions:

- How long will it take? A few hours of fun.
- How big are the teams? 4 is a pretty good number, but anything from 3-5 is pretty reasonable.
- Does it cost anything? Yes - but it's incredibly nominal, just to cover the costs of duplicating the puzzles. It will be somewhere in the neighborhood of like $10 per person.
- Is it competitive? Only if you want it to be. There is a scoring system available, but you're never on the clock when traveling between clue sites (so you don't have to sprint around like crazy people)
- What if it is too hard? There will be a generous hint system available for those who are stumped. "NO TEAM LEFT BEHIND"

Get your teams together and register - and feel free to spread the word to others who might be interested (they don't have to be geocachers - anyone with a good sense of adventure will love this). I think it will be really fun, and I'd love to get together afterward.

http://www.playdash.org/DASH3/getinline.php

Brett

PS - If you're interested in volunteering on April 30th rather than playing, that is totally cool too - we could use the help. Just let me know!
addisonbr

Return to GeoCaching