[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - New Metro GC Award Category Suggestion

New Metro GC Award Category Suggestion

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

New Metro GC Award Category Suggestion

Postby ruthny » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:05 pm

I've had an idea for a new Metro GC Award category bumping around in my head for a while, but only now remembered it while near the computer, so here goes:

Log of the Year

Logging is a part of the game we have not recognized until now. Logging can be an art, either by design or accidentally. Logs can be funny, informative, tell of caching adventure and misadventure, help or hinder us us in our own searches, improve our techniques and give us new ideas for finding and hiding, re-energize us as cachers and hiders, move us emotionally, or reveal an aspect of the writer's personality and life that had not been evident before. Good logs can be long, but they can also be short and succinct. I enjoy logging and reading other cacher's logs, and I know I'm not alone here.

So, I propose that we take nominations for logs written by cachers whose home coordinates are within the Metro GC area. (Someone else can define what that means.) I also propose that nominated logs can be written about a cache found anywhere in the world, not necessarily a Metro GC area cache. (Although if the group consensus is that the log nominations should be confined to logs relating to caches in the Metro GC area, I would not object.) The nominated log can be ANY kind of log, including Notes and Needs Maintenance logs.

Unlike the cache categories, as all voters do not find all the nominated caches, all voters WOULD be able to read all the nominated logs. And, if someone started "writing to the prize" (ie: writing a log with an award nomination in mind) we're all only going to be that much more entertained or enlightened anyway, aren't we?

Your thoughts?
ruthny

Re: New Metro GC Award Category Suggestion

Postby gerkmax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

That is an AWESOME idea!

I've read some logs recently that were just... magnificent! Works of art. I'm behind this 99.7%, I'd be 100%, but I didn't come up with the idea myself. Okay, I'm a hater. HAHAHA!
gerkmax

Postby majormajor42 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 am

I like this.

For my next log, I'll just cut and paste Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. How can I loose??? :lol:

so, as a test or reference, what are some logs you would have nominated for 2009?

BTW, is there a way to see what someone else's home coordinates are?
majormajor42

Postby addisonbr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 am

addisonbr

Postby Kbd71 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:21 am

Great idea! I nominate this for 2010:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 9f317d6672
Kbd71

Postby ruthny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 am

ruthny

Postby Kbd71 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 am

If by prey, you mean me, then yes, that's the one.
Kbd71

Postby ruthny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

So, here's a question for you gentle readers:

Do you or do you not ever read the logs written by your fellow cachers, for purposes other than helping you find a cache? Do you ever read logs for other reasons?

I certainly do. I really enjoy hearing about the experiences others have out in the field. You?
ruthny

Postby Child Of Atom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I tend to read logs on most of the big puzzle caches, even after I find them, just to keep an eye on how they are being received, and perceived. I'll occasionally look back at logs for other memorable caches as well, but not quite as often.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 am

addisonbr

Postby lefalaf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:41 pm

lefalaf

Postby buzzy_cacher » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 am

buzzy_cacher

Postby gerkmax » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Maybe there should be an award for most posts per logged finds? It Doesn't Begin at the Dolphin's Gate would win hands down!
gerkmax

Postby everettlane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm

If there were enough nominations, perhaps we could have an "out of towners" category (for those outside the metro area, logging nyc area caches) as well as a New Yorkers category (for those in NYC , logging anywhere.)
everettlane

Postby buzzy_cacher » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:08 pm

buzzy_cacher

Next

Return to GeoCaching