[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - 1 Million!

1 Million!

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

1 Million!

Postby gerkmax » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm

There are 999,675 caches according to the gc.com's cache count. Anyone think that one millionth cache will be in NYC?
gerkmax

Re: 1 Million!

Postby Child Of Atom » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm wondering id GSPK will allow the cache to be a random placement or if they have a cache in the queue that they plan to slip in at the appropriate moment. I know if I was a business owner that's what I would plan to do.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby gerkmax » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:48 pm

I expected to have heard something from them about a contest, a prize, a celebration... something, anything.
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 am

addisonbr

Postby BLAA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Just checked ...
"There are 1,001,001 active geocaches around the world"

... but doesn't that number refer to active caches in the system now? So I think that the 1 millionth cache of all time was registered a while back. Or am I reading that wrong?

In any event that is quite a stat! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. The last time I looked it was around 850,000 ... and I don't think that was very long ago. Guess that means that there were a lot of FTF's we missed...
BLAA

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm

addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 pm

On one of the Groundspeak forums, they said there's no way for GS to know which one was the exact 1Mth cache.
halijusapa

Postby BLAA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 pm

My memory is that back in the old days (2006 for us) the number of worldwide caches on the home page did not change that often (and it also included a stat about how many countries had caches)... and I can swear that at some point the total worldwide caches went down (but my memory is not always reliable!!).

Doesn't the change in the active cache stat depend on whether the new caches are published faster than old caches are archived (or vice versa)? The stat is phrased in the current tense so I'm thinking its a rolling number ... if they mean a "to-date" measure they probable could have chosen better words.

But whatever!! This is a WOW stat!

There are caches everywhere ... we are planning a trip to Easter Island later this year and last time I looked there were over a dozen.
BLAA

Postby gerkmax » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:56 am

You are correct! On the gc site, it states "There are 1,001,001 active geocaches around the world." Weird number. HEY, wait a minute! Is that a clue to Upper West Side New York Perch!?! Nevermind. But that is still an achievement to have that many ACTIVE caches.
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:06 am

addisonbr

Postby buzzy_cacher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:27 pm

The 1,000,000 cache was published a while ago (in 2008, I believe). Now, there are 1,000,000 active caches. To find any cache copy/paste this into your url:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ID=1000000

Where it says ID=1000000, insert any number. For instance, entering 100 will give you the 100th cache ever published. Have fun!
buzzy_cacher

Postby buzzy_cacher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:29 pm

buzzy_cacher

Postby BLAA » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:29 am

BLAA

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:29 am

I think that's right... and there are also caches that never get published at all, although they keep their assigned waypoints. Listings created to be personal geocoin storage, listings with guideline violations that are never fixed, etc.
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:39 am

Interesting coincidence that the millionth cache using this way to find it was almost in Metro NY GS territory (it's in Stamford, CT).
halijusapa

Next

Return to GeoCaching