[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Visiting from SC

Visiting from SC

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Visiting from SC

Postby clemsonbeav » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Hello NY Cachers! Clemsonbeav here from below the Mason-Dixon. My fiancée and I are getting married in September and will most probably be coming to NYC for a quick three-day honeymoon. She's never been there, and I went about 13 years ago when I wasn't even a teenager. While we're in the city, I know we'd love to catch a few caches, and I was hoping y'all could recommend some. Since we're only going to be there a short time and will probably spend most of our time in Manhattan, giant multi-caches will be out of the question, as well as caches that take you far away. She and I both love history. I'm also a huge National Treasure fan. I'd also love to find a cache similar to in New Orleans which takes you up to the roof of a skyscraper.

So, NYC, what do you have to offer? Thanks for any and all of your suggestions!
clemsonbeav

Re: Visiting from SC

Postby gerkmax » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 am

I would recommend as the Memorial is a "must see", and there are a bunch of others nearby in the downtown area.

Then head to Central Park where practically every cache provides an awesome location, view, experience.

Lastly, I suggest heading uptown to see the Cloisters in Ft Tryon Park, where I have a few caches (such as ).
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:36 am

Wow, that's nine months away! Talk about advance planning - I don't even know what I'm doing next weekend.

Good suggestions by Gerk.

One place to start might be the 2008 Metro NY award nominees - this bookmark list has 27 active / enabled caches that many folks enjoyed:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 25a8c15051

If you like puzzles, here are some of the more Dastardly ones that Manhattan has to offer:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/vie ... 5f493efb54

Regarding National Treasure, a few caches in particular stand out - the first is a walking Multi actually named National Treasure and was inspired by the movie:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... f2ece0d36e

The second is a Puzzle called Celebrate Life that also strives for a National Treasure feel (and if the most recent log is to be believed, it does an okay job):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8dac5eb92d

Plus there are three historical Multis that are part of a much larger 8-cache 1776 series, but they stand well on their own and are based on Manhattan:

Lower Manhattan:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 051337d5c4

Upper Manhattan:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 0a88397a33
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... a88b2ddd3b

Another fun cache would be Crossroads of the World in the busiest intersection on the planet:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8cec802ff0
addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:14 pm

halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:19 am

GC Says that link points to an unpublished cache?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Looks like it was a trailing parenthetical causing the problem... The cache was Indian Caves. Here it is again:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7192b933-c567-4e35-9f16-e8fb2ed8cc49
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Last edited by Child Of Atom on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby halijusapa » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

halijusapa

Postby pelagori » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:42 pm

slukster has a number of caches in midtown. they are quick grabs - and he's very active maintaining them so you have a decent expectation the cache is there. look for "POPS" in the title - "Privately Owned Public Space" - for a couple of "i was here" finds during a brief visit i'd go for those.......

pelagori
... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby hallycat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Everyone goes to Times Square so you will want to do this one.
hallycat

Return to GeoCaching