Pocket Query Tutorial?

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Pocket Query Tutorial?

Postby ruthny » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am

Is there a good Pocket Query tutorial out there on the Web? I attempted to use this feature earlier in the year, set up a couple of PQ's, but never received them. I'd love to be directed to more information on this feature! Thanks in advance.
ruthny

Re: Pocket Query Tutorial?

Postby addisonbr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:29 am

This is a very, very good tutorial. If you have any questions about it or have troubles that the tutorial doesn't address, let me know:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Regarding never receiving the PQ's... Make sure that they aren't going to your spam folder. There is something about the chemistry of the PQ response (contains large zip files as attachments, return address is "noreply", etc.) that often runs them afoul of my spam filters. Try either checking your junk folder, or creating a "white list" for emails from "noreply@geocaching.com".
addisonbr

Postby peeves79 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:20 pm

I know that you are limited to run a certain number of pocket queries in a week but what if you just set them up to preview them (view the map) first but don't select a weekday to run. Is there any restrictions on those? I want to try an preview several PQ but don't want to risk running them and being boxed out before I head upstate on Thursday.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm

I don't know for sure if there is a limit, but I use this trick all the time and have never run into any problems. I think you're totally in the clear unless you actually generate the .GPX file.
addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 pm

you can run up to like 5 PQs a day and preview an unlimited number.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby peeves79 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 pm

GC.com is pissing me off right now. X( ~x( All I want to do is run a pocket query so I can go caching tomorrow but the sucker will not run and I have been trying for an hour now. Has anyone had a problem today with running PQs? I originally tried to rerun a older PQ but after that wasn't working I remembered *-:) that if you create a new query with the same parameters it should run within a few minutes of being created. I believe I had selected everything correctly. Today is Thursday right? Mind you I have not run a PQ since 4/6. I hope I am not going to have this problem tomorrow when i run my PQ for my weekend cache run.

It looks like I will have to load up the GPSr with an older PQ that has the area I am going to cache in.

Bummer

PS someone needs to make a WTF smilie because ~x( is just not doing it for me right now.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby lekogm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Sometimes it takes time for the pocket queries to run. I've had one go within seconds of selecting the day and I've had them run 6 hours later. It all depends on what's going on server side. The best thing I can tell you to do is to hurry up and wait.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby BLAA » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:30 am

I just noticed "Create a Pocket Query" button in the "premium member filters" box on the Geocaching.com Google Maps pages.

Is this new? In any event it looks pretty handy!
BLAA

Postby peeves79 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am

It is pretty handy. It is not new new. I remember seeing that option there a few months ago.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby peeves79 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 pm

I am having a repeat episode of below. I just want to run a simple PQ so I can take the Vespa out caching tomorrow on the Island.

peeves79 wrote:GC.com is pissing me off right now. X( ~x( All I want to do is run a pocket query so I can go caching tomorrow but the sucker will not run and I have been trying for an hour now. Has anyone had a problem today with running PQs? I originally tried to rerun a older PQ but after that wasn't working I remembered *-:) that if you create a new query with the same parameters it should run within a few minutes of being created. I believe I had selected everything correctly. Today is Thursday right? Mind you I have not run a PQ since 4/6. I hope I am not going to have this problem tomorrow when i run my PQ for my weekend cache run.

It looks like I will have to load up the GPSr with an older PQ that has the area I am going to cache in.

Bummer

PS someone needs to make a WTF smilie because ~x( is just not doing it for me right now.

PPS I am still waiting for that WTF smilie :!!
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby lekogm » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 pm

I just ran a pocket query and it took no time at all. How did you end up making out with it?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey Peeves, check it:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243637

Over the weekend there were a lot of issues with Pocket Queries being generated. For that I sincerely apologize.

In an attempt to speed up the Pocket Query Generator, the application(s) that processes tens of thousands of Pocket Queries a day, there was a cascading number of issues that resulted in duplicate Pocket Queries going out, Pocket Queries without logs and Pocket Queries not being sent out for a certain amount of time. Also in the process, Pocket Queries were brought down to a trickle, resulting in Pocket Queries not going out at all.

We're taking this issue very seriously at Groundspeak, and we'll be focusing on increasing the capabilities over this next weekend to ensure this never, ever happens again. By increasing this capacity we'll also be prepared to offer Pocket Queries with 1,000 results instead of 500. This will happen by the anniversary of geocaching (May 2, 2010). As those veterans to geocaching know, I'm not usually one to offer dates, but this one is solid.

Again, I offer my apology for this weekend's issues.

--------------------
Jeremy Irish
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby peeves79 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 am

Yep. But I really wanted to have the GPSr loaded that night so that I didn't have to turn the computer on Sat monring. After giving it three hours I went to sleep and luckly I had the query in my inbox in the morning. Usually like you said it takes a few minutes normally for me to run a PQ so I kind of figured something was up with GC.com. Thanks COA for your post. I am glad is wasn't me and the problem was known and is being/has been worked on.
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby hukilaulau » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:08 am

peeves79 wrote:I know that you are limited to run a certain number of pocket queries in a week but what if you just set them up to preview them (view the map) first but don't select a weekday to run. Is there any restrictions on those? I want to try an preview several PQ but don't want to risk running them and being boxed out before I head upstate on Thursday.

OK sorry this is totally off topic but it's driving me nuts. I keep waiting for the penguin to wise up and walk around but he keeps on going to the same spot and getting knocked down!! I watched for 15 minutes and he kept doing the same thing over and over. Geeze, what a dummy!
hukilaulau

Postby gerkmax » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Keep watching. Once, after about an hour... he ducked and kicked the other other penguin in. It was AWESOME!
gerkmax

Return to GeoCaching