[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Columbia University new story

Columbia University new story

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Columbia University new story

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 pm

I got an e-mail today from the Columbia University on-line newspaper. They are doing a theme called "Search" and they want to do a GC story. This might be great for our own NYC area soince many are on campus. She wants an interview with me and perhaps others and perhaps go out on a 'search' with us.

Maybe we can have a discussion meeting or something in town one day. I'll get back to you once I know more.

J
Tatanka49

Re: Columbia University new story

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:32 pm

She emailed me as well. I haven't had time to get back to her yet.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby Tatanka49 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 pm

This is the magazine--pretty high tech stuff... www.nyc24.org

I'm going to give her a call tonight. Anyone else get an e-mail from her?
Tatanka49

Postby lekogm » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm

We should invite her to the Thirsty Cachers event on the 29th.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby peeves79 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 pm

good idea but lets find this bugger!
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby Child Of Atom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Just spoke to her on the phone. Very sweet, and interested in the game. She and a partner are pitching the idea for the article on Thursday, and if it is accepted they want to go on a hunt which I've volunteered for. I sent her a TON of links to various resources to help her pitch the idea, so we'll see how it goes.

If accepted and published the article will go live on 3-27, so too late for her to go on the Aqua5 hunt.

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Ha, I exchanged a couple of emails with her this afternoon but didn't realize I was simply one of the crowd. Too funny.

One way or another I hope this article puts us in a good light. I'm getting really tired of the "moderately dysfunctional" profile of geocachers.
addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

She emailed me as well. Am I still "special"?
gerkmax

Postby Tatanka49 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:38 pm

You're always special in our eyes.....

Maybe she can't do the Thirtsy event (maybe she will though if we get her excited about it) but she shoulkd be able to make Dog & Bear's event on the 14th in Babylon.

If you guys set up a hunt for her, why not psot here and we can all go and help out.

J
Tatanka49

Postby halijusapa » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:41 pm

This sounds like a cool story to complement the one we (and sort of MarkSun) recent had with the Rivertowns Enterprise up here in Westchester. Good luck!
halijusapa

Postby Child Of Atom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 pm

I'll keep you up to date on what is going on. She sort of asked both ways, to go on a hunt herself and to just follow me (us) on a hunt, so I'm not sure what exactly she is looking for.

Child Of Atom

Postby Tatanka49 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:16 pm

We had a long talk tonight. She wants to do an interview and join us on a hunt that they can videotape. I made a few suggestions.

The primary idea right now what I'm pitching (and Malia, let us know if this works for you) is that we plan a group hunt for next Saturday -- March 13 at Prospect Park. Most of our members don't have finds there. That way it's true discovery on our part and not a set up like if we do Central Park where we all know where they are hidden. They can also take time to interview us as much as they wish. They need a place where they can get to on public transportation. It won't show urban hides but it will show the woodsy types. The other possibility would be with Gerkmax up in Inwood Park.

Thoughts?
Tatanka49

Postby peeves79 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:50 pm

John, you mean Saturday March 14th right?
Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby peeves79 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Matt aka Peeves79 8-x

peeves79

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:06 am

yes. This is assuming she gets the story approved today.

I also noticed that Avoair has his annual St Pats Day event posted. Says it's easy access from NYC by public transit. Maybe that would be a good event for her to go to instead.

j
Tatanka49

Next

Return to GeoCaching