[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Geocache TV show

Geocache TV show

General conversation related to Geocaching

Moderator: addisonbr

Geocache TV show

Postby gerkmax » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:26 pm

I just noticed that on WLIW (channel 21 on Manhattan TWC) there's a show documenting geocaching. It's Entitled "Geocache". Not sure if it's been covered here before.

Looks at this sport which combines global satellite technology with a low- stakes treasure hunt. (Closed Captioning) (Stereo)
gerkmax

Re: Geocache TV show

Postby lekogm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:40 pm

i hope you're recording it! it doesn't seem to be on again after tonight.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 pm

addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:17 am

we should save it for the library or something...... did we ever start a library?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby gerkmax » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 am

It was that geocaching documentary. Here's the official site:

http://www.davidliban.com/geofilm

I agree with harry, it wasn't that flattering. I think it needed to portray the different types of cachers, and different types of of cache hides. They did show a few interesting caches, but they weren't portrayed well either.

Maybe that's something we should look into?
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:05 am

addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:34 am

hahaha! Sorry. I got confused between two different threads.

You have to let me borrow that mirror of your's sometime.
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:54 pm

halijusapa

Postby Tatanka49 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 pm

I bought the DVD last year. It's not worth watching.
Tatanka49

Postby addisonbr » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:18 pm

addisonbr

Postby halijusapa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 am

I think they critiqued this show somewhere on the Groundspeak forums and pretty much said the same thing all of you said, that it was crappy to begin with and mostly portrayed caching negatively.
halijusapa

Postby gerkmax » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Has anyone seen "Adventures in Geocaching"? http://www.geocachingthemovie.com/

Is it any better?

I have a few film-making friends. I've been thinking one of them might be interested in doing something on caching from an "urban prospective". Caching in the city, and NYC cachers, might be a more interesting take on it.

Any ideas?
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Never heard of it, but at least from the web site it looks like it's got a shot at not sucking... I don't know how hard it is to be included in regional film festivals, but presumably there is at least *some* vetting going on. It hasn't aired on any of the channels I get in the last several months or my TiVo would have picked it up, and I couldn't figure out from their web site how to order it so I don't know if it's available on DVD or not.

I found a link to these clips from a local Kentucky news piece about geocaching on the Podcacher web site. It's the first story in the newscast:

addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:44 am

So my friend (who although is an amateur "film person", has made a few VERY nice looking short movies and videos) wants to do this. He is very enthusiastic about it too. In fact, he wanted to start shooting the day I told him about it, THEN figure out how to best put it together! haha!

Anyway, anyone have any ideas or some input for this? As a movie? documentary? mockumentary? some other strange combination?

I was thinking about doing it from an "urban caching perspective" where we could illustrate the challenges of caching in the post-9/11 era. We could also talk about experiences about caching in other countries and on vacation/business trips.
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Hmm... Interesting. I've been on a documentary kick lately and my gut reaction tells me that this is a more interesting story as a documentary than as a movie. That said, what do I know from movies.

I like your take on something that is a slightly more urban perspective from how we usually see caching depicted. Frankly, I also wouldn't mind seeing a more diverse collection of cachers... One thing I noticed about the documentary on PBS was that even when they filmed at Geo Woodstock, which theoretically brings in all kinds of cachers from all over the country and world, the profiles all seemed very very very similar. That may well accurately reflect geocaching demographics, but still, all that homogeneity makes for a slightly dulled-down film. (I felt the same way when I watched Wordplay, about crossword puzzles and competitive solving - for the most part it was hard to differentiate between a lot of the profiled folks.)
addisonbr

Next

Return to GeoCaching