Cachers leaving TB's OUTSIDE of micro caches

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Cachers leaving TB's OUTSIDE of micro caches

Postby slukster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 pm

I have become very frustrated when I see logs like this on my caches:

Found the cache in our second try. I left two trackables attached to the magnet of the cache and placed the cache underneath the marble right in the corner. It's covered up with a little bit of dirt in order to hide from muggles. It's actually in the other flower bed farther away from the street corner. Maybe CO can go get the TB's in order to place them in a better cache, but they are pretty well hidden unless someone is actually looking for them. Tftc!

Besides the fact that the TB's will surely disappear the next time the gardener comes around, the cache has not been replaced where I hid it! It is a magentic micro hidden on the bottom of a metal railing around a planter. The cacher is from out of state and has over 100 finds. I tried to be nice when I emailed him telling him that a TB should never be left outside of a micro container but I can't promise it was my nicest email. :roll: Luckily the next cacher found everything and made things right:

Hmm.. because of the 'new' hide by the last cacher the hint wasnt really correct anymore and we saw 2 groups of geocachers who where focussed on that hint (because the reception is really bad) and didnt find it. We tried after them and after we didnt find it the way we expected I looked a little underneath it and saw something in the dirt. That was pretty disgusting, as were the TB's. We took them with us, cleaned it up and replaced it the way it should be!! So people please keep it that way so everybody can find it easily with the given hints.

I then checked my other micro caches in the area to see if he left TB's anywhere else and found this log:

Tftc! Still looking for the other cache on 44th street to place a TB in, but not having luck yet.

NO!! Don't do it. :evil:

The thing is that this isn't the first time this has happened. About a month ago I received this log on another of my micro caches in NYC:
Found it!
King of Geocaching Geocoin dropped off.
TFTC

There is no way this coin could have fit in my bison tube! I had to mark it missing and then the TB owner said that the coin was in the hands of the security guard on the property (he emailed the cacher who left it to find this out. Security is very aware of the cache although I could not find one who knew about the geocoin).

Another guy recently placed TB's in two of my micro caches but after a little research I found that they are just dipping the TB. They "place" it on one day and when they leave the area they grab it to take on their travels even though it never left their possession. I have heard of people dipping their own TB's to keep track of their travels but these TB's don't even belong to them!

I guess I get frustrated because the poor people who own these TB's are losing their TB's and I can only imagine these cachers are doing this everywhere they go.

Anybody else seeing this on their caches?
slukster

Re: Cachers leaving TB's OUTSIDE of micro caches

Postby addisonbr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 pm

That has happened a couple of times to caches I own (or own jointly, with childofatom). People with big TB's who were hoping they would fit, they don't, and so they leave them underneath the container. It's a pretty good way to thrash a TB, especially if it's at all susceptible to the elements. It's a bummer.
addisonbr

Postby BLAA » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 am

Hmm I applaud the commitment to keep TBs moving but I agree that this is not a sound practice as it exposes both the cache and the TBs to plunder. I don't see why the TBs could not be put back in the pocket for the next caching trip. We have stopped planting TBs as they disappear at an alarming rate (except in eastern Europe where they just go round and round)

... what's next leaving a TB at a virtual?
BLAA

Postby dolemite9 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:03 pm

Re BLAA: "... what's next leaving a TB at a virtual?"

I remember coming across a log awhile back along these lines when we found (the awesome) nearby GC16A6:

http://coord.info/GCGACT ---> See 8/3/06 log (I assume it was a trackble, but am not sure).

Interesting point originally raised by slukster though. I think the idea of TBs is great, but it is just so sad how they seem to fall off the radar most of the time. And some of the things noted in slukster's post only make the TB outlook that much more glum....
dolemite9

Postby slukster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 pm

A response from the cacher.

Whoa there, big guy. I feel quite content with what I did. I noticed the cache is visited virtually every day, so I was comfortable leaving very detailed and specific notes for the next finder to know exactly where to find it. We visited several caches in the city on our only night there. All were nano or micro, so this was my best option. The gardeners can easily find your cache anyway. Carry on...

I guess the fact that 2 groups of cachers after him could not find it due to him moving it (as indicated in the log after his) wouldn't concern him. I also noticed that he just dropped off a TB that he had been holding on to for 9 months but logged at each cache he found. The goal of the TB was to log the most miles in one year but I would think that means through the hands of many cachers. I guess they cache differently out in KS.
slukster

Postby halijusapa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

dolemite9 wrote:Re BLAA: "... what's next leaving a TB at a virtual?"

I remember coming across a log awhile back along these lines when we found (the awesome) nearby GC16A6:

http://coord.info/GCGACT ---> See 8/3/06 log (I assume it was a trackble, but am not sure).

Interesting point originally raised by slukster though. I think the idea of TBs is great, but it is just so sad how they seem to fall off the radar most of the time. And some of the things noted in slukster's post only make the TB outlook that much more glum....

That's why we gave up on sending out TBs and coins for the most part, though we'll still pick up and move those of others.
halijusapa

Return to GeoCache Hides