With a heavy heart.....

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

With a heavy heart.....

Postby dolemite9 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 pm

It has been an absolute blast to be part of the NYC caching community. A great place with great hides and great folks. I just wish I had found more time to dig into some of the puzzle caches scattered about Manhattan!

Later this summer, our time here in NYC will be up as we are moving on to our next chapter. Given the fact that we have had the privilege of hiding about a dozen caches around NYC (chiefly in northern Manhattan), we need to figure out what to do with them. We are hoping we can find someone(s) who may be willing to 'adopt' them and actively maintain them should issues arise. Otherwise we'll need to archive them. We are happy to donate a few $$$ for prospective adopters to help defray future costs (e.g., replacement containers). The caches in question are:

GC2T8ZP - Trinity Church Cemetery (NYC)
GC2ZXRM - Fort Tryon Park (NYC)
GC3F7DQ - Hudson Heights (NYC)
GC358BZ - Safety City (NYC)
GC3CVPW - Roosevelt Walkabout (NYC)
GC2RNNC - GWBridge (NYC)
GC2Y8PF - Do the math! (NYC)
GC3CVV0 - Roosevelt Island History (NY)
GC34YN5 - The Palisades (NJ)
GC2T5D9 - CUMC (NYC)
GC2Y1WD - Straus Park (NYC)
GC2VE0B - Surf's Up!! (@ Rockaway Beach)

If you are potentially interested in helping out (for one, all, or some subset), please feel free to contact me at cb2811 [at] columbia.edu.

Thanks again to everyone and all who has made it a real pleasure to be a NYC cacher. Will always wear that as a real badge of honor. We will really miss the area and the great community.

Chris & Michele
(aka Bee Bait, aka dolemite9)
dolemite9

Re: With a heavy heart.....

Postby gerkmax » Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Sorry to see you go. Your caches were good. I'm willing to take over a few.
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi, it's been a LONG time since I've been on here (mainly because it appears almost everyone has ditched these forums for the Facebook page). I remember seeing the log that we just missed each other at a cache on the Riverdale/Yonkers border. Anyway, while I think Gerkmax would be geographically better suited to take over most of your caches, we might be willing to take on some (especially if you start them out with replacement containers), technically northern Manhattan is very close to southern Westchester so we should be able to get to them if need be (we have quite a few Bronx caches).

Good luck on your next adventure (where are you relocating to BTW?)
halijusapa

Postby dolemite9 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks gerk & halijusapa! Still trying to figure things out, but *Jeremy* so far has agreed to adopt the Roosevelt Island caches. Am definitely happy to give any of the specific caches folks may be interested a tune up (e.g., nice shiny new container), but want to avoid leaving 'geotrash' behind. So if folks have any specific ones they might be interested in, let me know. I know it is a lot to ask, but I'd hate to see some of them go (e.g., Do the Math!).

As for the next step, we are packing up at the end of August and heading to Toronto. We're both excited and nervous to be heading to another country, but all signs seem to point to awesome up there. NYC has been great and we will miss it *a lot*, but it's exciting to look forward to being able to have a car again and being able to drive around! (not to mention all the other charms Ontario has to offer) Will be fun to see what the caching in another country is like....

Chris
dolemite9

Postby halijusapa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am

dolemite9 wrote:Thanks gerk & halijusapa! Still trying to figure things out, but *Jeremy* so far has agreed to adopt the Roosevelt Island caches. Am definitely happy to give any of the specific caches folks may be interested a tune up (e.g., nice shiny new container), but want to avoid leaving 'geotrash' behind. So if folks have any specific ones they might be interested in, let me know. I know it is a lot to ask, but I'd hate to see some of them go (e.g., Do the Math!).

As for the next step, we are packing up at the end of August and heading to Toronto. We're both excited and nervous to be heading to another country, but all signs seem to point to awesome up there. NYC has been great and we will miss it *a lot*, but it's exciting to look forward to being able to have a car again and being able to drive around! (not to mention all the other charms Ontario has to offer) Will be fun to see what the caching in another country is like....

Chris

Good luck! (And interesting, I've read that it's almost impossible for Americans to move to Canada, lots of legal obstacles, etc.). Been there a lot (I have relatives in the area and my sister lives in a suburb of Buffalo, though I myself am not from Canada), very nice clean and diverse/tolerant city and despite what you say about having a car again, very good public transportation (not to the level of NYC, but that's like comparing an elephant to a cat).
halijusapa

Postby ruthny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm

"Do the Math" needs to be adopted by someone who can actually solve it.... Anyone??
ruthny

Return to GeoCache Hides