Getting permission in NYC

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Getting permission in NYC

Postby mtgilbert » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm new to geocaching (1 find so far!) and am surprised that there aren't more discussions about getting permission to place caches. I'm in NYC during the school year, but spend time in the Adirondacks during the summer. Up here, a permit is required by New York State for hides on state land. They are free, and good for two years. What is involved for getting permission in the Big Apple? Thanks.
mtgilbert

Re: Getting permission in NYC

Postby everettlane » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Welcome!

As for permissions, do we have a FAQ on this yet? If not we probably should...

In general (and the more experienced cachers probably can tell you more) you still need permissions for any State or Federal land / parks. (As in, no.) The city-run parks are generally fine. As for the non-park areas, obviously you need to hide them in a public space, and ask yourself: would someone call the Department of Homeland Security if they stumbled on this? So rule out bridges, monuments, etc. I'd say start finding stuff in NYC and that will give you a sense of what is acceptable.
everettlane

Postby halijusapa » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:49 pm

The permit the OP is thinking of is a special permit that applies to NY State parks. In many parks below that level (or public places in general), no permit, permission, etc. is needed, keeping everettlane's common sense guidelines. The only other city or county level I know of that requires a permit in regards to caches in their parks is Rockland County, and they only passed that in the last couple of years. Hope that helps. I also advise (similar to everettlane's suggestion) that you find some more caches before you hide one as it will give you a good idea of a "good hide" that won't cause trouble. Enjoy!
halijusapa

Postby mtgilbert » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Halijusapa is quite right - the permit apples to NYS parks, not all NYS lands. I have been in touch with a very helpful official at the DEC and learned that forest lands under their jurisdiction do not require permits, with the exception of wildlife preservation areas which require special permission from the manager. All the DEC asks is that the owner label the cache with his/her name and address, and that trees not be harmed.
mtgilbert

Postby Child Of Atom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:12 am

The only restricted parkland I can think of around here is Riverbank Park on the west side of Manhattan, and Governor's Island. (Though I'll admit I am not as familiar with stuff in the outer boroughs.)

Riverbank is a state park. There is some discrepancy as to where it stops and starts. The website says that it is only the elevated area between 145th and 137th (it's really cool, it's built on the roof of the waste treatment plant that is there, rendering it as useful land.) But I have had caches rejected in the strip of land north of there because Admin says it is part of Riverbank.

Half of Governor's Island is Federal Park, but the other half is city park, so be careful about permissions out there.

The city parks are pretty "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Especially Central Park. The Central Park Conservancy is definitely aware that there are caches in there, but I don't think they know exactly how many or where. There have been several of us who have bumped against the CPC, mostly workers assigned to specific areas that are really protective of their home turf, or specific trees, or whatnot.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:The city parks are pretty "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Especially Central Park. The Central Park Conservancy is definitely aware that there are caches in there

Yes. They know enough about caching that when they find a placement they don't approve of, they know who to contact. There was a vacation cache thrown down in Strawberry Fields by a visiting cacher from Oregon, who couldn't be bothered to disable the listing when the area was fenced off for seeding purposes, and the CPC flipped a lid. We have been banned from Strawberry Fields ever since and I think we should count ourselves as lucky the ban wasn't more general.

In general the best thing we can do when hiding caches in what little greenery NYC has to offer is to leave good contact information in the containers, and to react quickly and responsibly when a problem is reported, *especially* if it is reported by the Parks Department or its ilk.
addisonbr

Postby everettlane » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:25 pm

We have been banned from Strawberry Fields ever since.

I believe you meant to write,

We have been banned from Strawberry Fields Forever.

:)
everettlane

Postby addisonbr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:31 pm

everettlane wrote:I believe you meant to write,

We have been banned from Strawberry Fields Forever.

:)

YOU WIN THE THREAD!
addisonbr

Return to GeoCache Hides