Summer on the Hudson

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Summer on the Hudson

Postby addisonbr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:21 pm

I guess dolemite9 doesn't need to check on this kayak cache anymore - some teenager from Latvia rode his bike to it and found it today. Must have been going really, really fast.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 038c19de84
addisonbr

Re: Summer on the Hudson

Postby gerkmax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 pm

At the right speed, at juuuuust the right angle... bam! ALL SMILEY
gerkmax

Postby lefalaf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Or a really long grabber tool!
lefalaf

Postby ruthny » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:50 pm

He also "Biked" to Three Card Monte." Are you saying he cheated the Dealer? There's a "Delete" button for con artists like him!
ruthny

Postby gerkmax » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:09 am

Though it sounds fishy, we can't be sure until someone checks the logs. It is very possible he/she found 26 caches in one day (or maybe just logged all in one day).
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 am

gerkmax wrote:Though it sounds fishy, we can't be sure until someone checks the logs. It is very possible he/she found 26 caches in one day (or maybe just logged all in one day).

While technically true, and I normally wouldn't bother to mention it, it's a little extra-silly to say that you found a kayak cache (that is probably missing) on a Monday, knowing that the Downtown Boathouse only offers kayaking on the weekends. Is it poooossssssssssible that he brought his own kayak from Latvia and forgot to mention that in his log? Yep. Lots of things are possible :)
addisonbr

Postby addisonbr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:59 am

gerkmax wrote:(or maybe just logged all in one day).

Upon re-reading, this is a perfectly fair point.

(It still strikes me as odd to find Summer on the Hudson and not mention anything about it being in the middle of the Hudson River.)
addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Brett, it's totally possible.

Okay, picture it... It's a sunny, beautiful Monday in NYC. He's riding all over the city just hitting smiley after smiley. The birds are just chirping coordinates and hints at this guy. *tweet* [Look under that rock] *tweet* [It's inside that hole] He's just a happy geocaching dude!

As he's biking along Riverside, looking out at GZ... Someone sees him looking out at the water and says "Hey weary traveler. Welcome to our fair city! Why, you look like a man who'd like to go out on New York City's beautiful (though fairly polluted) Hudson River. It's a beautiful day for it, and hey, I just happen to have my kayak with me. Would you like a ride? You can even feel around those wooden beams and see what treasures turn up. Here, I have some extra clothes you can wear so your own don't get wet. And just for the hell of it, let's bring out my lucky, water-proof, water-resistant, even-writes-upside-down-in-space pen just for shyts and giggles." And bam... smiley!

TOTALLY POSSIBLE! Probable? Nope! No way. But possible? Yes. It is within the realm of possibilities. Though infinitesimally small they are.
gerkmax

Postby ruthny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 am

I'll be checking on TCM later in the week. I'll let you all know if I find his name in the log!
ruthny

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 am

Ha Ha!
One of their 26 caches was our "M" Club Cache!
I'll have to check our log also!

It looks like they were trying to find all the caches that need maintenance!
Sparrows_Gold

Postby ruthny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 pm

So, I checked on TCM today, as it needed a bit of sprucing up anyway, and NO he did not sign the log. In fact, on the day he claims he was there, no one at all signed the log.

So, to delete or not to delete?
ruthny

Postby gerkmax » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Maybe he was biking so fast the ink didn't have time to stick to the log? IT'S POSSIBLE!!!

Maybe, he's the Flash, and he signed in the time stream so it shows up at a future date? Possible?

Maybe he...

No... he faked it.
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 am

ruthny wrote:So, I checked on TCM today, as it needed a bit of sprucing up anyway, and NO he did not sign the log. In fact, on the day he claims he was there, no one at all signed the log.

So, to delete or not to delete?

Delete. I have a somewhat similar problem with my "geomobile" travel bug. The idea is for people to "discover" our car at events (except for the Central Park event since we take the train there) or on the road, etc., but someone posted the tag on Facebook and we suddenly got a lot of discoveries that we knew were from that (i.e. someone said they saw our car in Florida, neither car has ever been there). So I spelled out some rules going forward and when someone didn't I deleted their log and told them why.
halijusapa

Postby Harry Dolphin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 am

Sounds like the problem we had a few years back with the guy driving around North America logging thousands of caches. Nary a signature. (Ultimus Prime?) Twenty finds a day. What raised my suspicion was his logs on Bear on the Loose and West New York Aerie (along with 18 others) on the same day. Sure, they're only two miles apart, so it was possible. Just not very probable. All of his logs were deleted by Groundspeak.
Or the trucker who drove through New Jersey during a blizzard with 8" of snow on the road. Some of his finds included one on the ground, a mile down an unmaintained road, one that required a 200' climb, and two at rest stops on opposite sides of Rte 80. (That's probably a ten-mile round trip.)
Oh, well. Ruth, I would delete the find.
Harry Dolphin

Postby addisonbr » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:27 am

Harry Dolphin wrote:Sounds like the problem we had a few years back with the guy driving around North America logging thousands of caches. Nary a signature. (Ultimus Prime?)

Good memory. I had to search my inbox for it and found it under Oculus Prime.

I think we have another, new entrant into the bogus log sweepstakes - "ich auch". The account was opened Thursday. Here is a sampling of the caches that were logged Thursday and Friday - 32 in New York alone. There are so many I fear I will sprain my fingers, so I'm not including the Traditional listings (of which there are, of course, plenty):

Five Star New York
PMC2 - The Spy of Cadman Plaza
See No Evil
Come Here!
New World Cache
Celebrate Life
Rushmore
Cleverness Squared
Underground Life
Stuyvesan'ts Orchard
1776 Phase 6 Invasion of NY - Revolutionary War
A Space Invasion Tour
Who ya gonna call?
Cache Rules Everything Around Me (C.R.E.A.M.)
World Trade Center 9/11 Survivor's Fountain
An Gorta Mor

There are some tough nuts to crack on there. Plus, caches in the following places: Pennsylvania, Hawaii, Washington, California, Colorado, Oregon, Texas, Canada, Egypt, Portugal, Czech Republic, Russia, Nepal, New Zealand, and dozens from what I can only assume is a native Germany.

Possible, sure, I guess. They could have been found over the course of many different trips and erroneously logged all at once with the same Found It date or something. Buuuuut... I'm a teensy bit skeptical.
addisonbr

Next

Return to GeoCache Hides