The War of Light is on!

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Re: The War of Light is on!

Postby lekogm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 am

Which cache has the one ring that rules them all?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby gerkmax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Just asking my peers here...

Someone mentioned I should have published these caches one at a time, instead of all at once, because it would have made it "more fair" for others to get the FTFs. I thought "Hey, it's a series. Sometimes they're one at a time, sometimes they're all at once. It is what it is."

Any thoughts?
gerkmax

Postby Child Of Atom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I know exactly how silly it sounds. With that disclaimer in place...

I think you did exactly the right thing. Why? These are two relatively remote locations. (See how silly that sounds? But hell, there are days I consider Brooklyn just one subway stop away from Antarctica.) If I had made the effort to go all the way out there and get one of them, only see another in the same spot pop up in my inbox the next morning... I likely would have ignored the second one. I mean, I'm already holding off until Sapphire gets approved so that I only have to go to RI once...

Plus, Ruth's FTFs lasted until at least early afternoon, and she was on foot the whole time... people had plenty of time to get to them before her, or hit the ones at the north end of the island while she was at the south... don't hate just because you didn't get out of bed in time.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 am

I'll chip in a different perspective. In this particular case I was close to zero percent to get any FTFs on the series regardless, because my days of rushing to get the car out for something "off the island" are pretty much behind me.

If it had been me, I'd've published them a few days apart. Not out of "fairness", but just because it would have been more interesting. I grabbed a handful of FTFs at a time from the JLA series when a few were published simultaneously, and even as a finder I felt a little awkward about it, like it was costing the series a little something.

I hear what CoA is saying about ignoring the second listing, but I'm wondering - does that mean forever? After that first FTF I can see not racing out each time another alert goes out and just waiting for them all to publish, but I can't really see folks ignoring the series indefinitely because of hurt feelings. And if I'm wrong about that, you could always mention in the description of the first cache that more will be published in that area in the coming days so that people can make informed decisions about what matters to them.

For me it's not about being "fair" to people. As a CO I just like seeing variety in the FTFs on my caches. It's more about me than the FTF hounds.
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:11 am

I hear what CoA is saying about ignoring the second listing, but I'm wondering - does that mean forever?

Of course it doesn't mean forever. I just meant that I probably would have been more leisurely about going after the rest with the anticipation of further publications. I'm not a vindictive brat. (Except when I am.)
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby ruthny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:27 am

As one who went after these caches on the first day, I read Gerk's question with interest, and my answer is actually a combination of COA's and addsionbr's. Randall's Island is indeed a remote location for me, as I have access only to public transportation and my own "foot-mobile." I do have to say, if only one of these caches had been published in this location, I would not have gone after it so quickly and aggressively. It would have gone on the list for the future. If a single cache had been published with a caveat that four more were going on-line shortly, I'd wait until all five were active, and then make the trip. Why go so far, on foot, several times? And if, if I'd gone for the single cache anyway (with no knowledge that four more were shortly to appear) bussed to the East Side, walked to find the footbridge, walked over the footbridge, walked to the cache, and then reversed the whole exercise to get home, I would not be a happy puppy when the other four appeared. All that all being said, Gerk, do whatever you want in the future. If you place them, we will come. At some juncture, anyway!
ruthny

Postby addisonbr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:11 am

ruthny wrote:And if, if I'd gone for the single cache anyway (with no knowledge that four more were shortly to appear) bussed to the East Side, walked to find the footbridge, walked over the footbridge, walked to the cache, and then reversed the whole exercise to get home, I would not be a happy puppy when the other four appeared.

I'm guessing unhappy puppies are easily avoided with a mention on the cache page.

I should also make sure that it's clear I don't think that anyone did anything "wrong" here in the least. Not Gerk for the listings, and definitely not Behistun or Ruth for logging multiple FTFs. I would have done the same thing, and have.
addisonbr

Postby ruthny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 am

ruthny wrote: And if, if I'd gone for the single cache anyway (with no knowledge that four more were shortly to appear) bussed to the East Side, walked to find the footbridge, walked over the footbridge, walked to the cache, and then reversed the whole exercise to get home, I would not be a happy puppy when the other four appeared.

addisonbr wrote: I'm guessing unhappy puppies are easily avoided with a mention on the cache page.

Addendum: I would have been an unhappy puppy for a short time, and then gotten over myself and acknowledged that the CO can, of course, do whatever he wants to, and my choices are my own. I wouldn't have stayed unhappy, or misplaced "blame" for very long. I'm not a brat either. Except when I am...
ruthny

Postby gerkmax » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking at it now, it's funny how one or two negative messages had me wondering if I'd broken some unwritten rule or something.

I did think that if one or two people get all the FTFs in a certain area, that some might be discouraged. But then not everyone is an FTF hound. VCP is just too big and wild for so few caches, and Randall's is just too nice a spot to leave "open". I was actually more worried about "hogging" the island to myself (btw... Cully, the north end is open). And part of me wanted to see what would happen. Would there be a mad dash of cachers clawing each other for each FTF? Would everyone assume everyone else was going so the FTF wouldn't come for a week? Would Behistun carve a raft out of a tree to get that "middle of the night FTF"?

And I don't see anything wrong with one or two people getting all the FTFs, I mean seriously... Should Ruth have waited in the rain for someone to come by and find the next one? Should Behistun have had a picnic with Navigator in the middle of the VCP woods until the next cacher showed up? It's great (SUPER GREAT!) to get an FTF, but IMO, the caching experience should be more about the hunt and experiencing the area, than being first (unless the FTF prize is too good to pass up). If someone isn't going to look for a cache because they're not first, then they are going to miss out on A LOT of caches.

Anyway, thanks for the input. It's something to think about for the next series.
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 am

gerkmax wrote:And I don't see anything wrong with one or two people getting all the FTFs, I mean seriously... Should Ruth have waited in the rain for someone to come by and find the next one? Should Behistun have had a picnic with Navigator in the middle of the VCP woods until the next cacher showed up?

Surely nobody was actually suggesting anything even close to this? I can't imagine people not hunting for published caches in those situations.
addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:15 pm

NO! That's what I'M saying! Ruthy, you should have waited for someone! You know how these guys never ever get an FTF! Are you sure you didn't pick up the Orange Lantern? HAHA! :lol: J/K

I'm just saying it would have been, and is, ridiculous to expect someone not to claim the FTFs for a group of caches located nearby. It's been almost a full work week, and no one has found the ones in VCP since Behistun. (That would have been a LONG picnic)
gerkmax

Postby gerkmax » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 am

Okay, peeps.. The final cache in this series is published: The Star Sapphires!

LOVE WILL FIND A WAY!
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:10 am

gerkmax wrote:
I'm just saying it would have been, and is, ridiculous to expect someone not to claim the FTFs for a group of caches located nearby. It's been almost a full work week, and no one has found the ones in VCP since Behistun. (That would have been a LONG picnic)

Yeah that seems to happen a lot, after I published my new addition to your "CVS" series it took a week after Behistun got it before someone else grabbed it. Though the FTF race in southern Westchester is not what it used to be (unlike the NORTHERN Westchester one, where bacmac, gschmid, and one other (whose caching name I can't remember) always race for it the way it used to be in Manhattan for addisonbr vs. EVF vs. Behistun, etc.

Speaking of Behistun, looks like he put a couple of hides in VCP now too, the area is now literallly "flooded" (my wife thinks the park LITERALLY is from the rains but I'm not so sure so if I'm part of any FTF for them, it would just be me today......but if I don't go for them right away (after having a few under our belt in the last year or 2 at least the rest of my crew is not as gung-ho to be FTF as they used to be), will be interesting to see how long it takes for an FTF since he obviously can't be the FTF ;)
halijusapa

Previous

Return to GeoCache Hides