Stupid Muggles!

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Stupid Muggles!

Postby everettlane » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm

No real question here, I just needed to vent. Another one of my caches has been muggled, after only 5 days in the field! Arrrghwhchghrrrr. And I thought the hide was pretty good. So far, of the 7 caches I've placed, 4 have gone missing. That's 57.1428571%! I'm beginning to think that someone is stalking my caches. Or maybe I just need better camo.
everettlane

Re: Stupid Muggles!

Postby gerkmax » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:04 am

Are you replacing in the exact same spot?
gerkmax

Postby addisonbr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:45 am

If it makes you feel any better, it's not just you.

I've placed 16 caches. Of those, 7 have been muggled... I'm not quite at 57.1428571%, but it's still clocking at a healthy .4375%. And 5 of those 7 have been muggled more than once - I think of my 16 placements, I've suffered a total of 15 mugglings.

Maintaining caches in NYC is just a different bird.
addisonbr

Postby everettlane » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, I'm glad to know it's not just me :) I guess with 8.2 million people in New York, someone's bound to notice our caches.

Germax, I've only replaced one cache in the same spot. One I wrote off (my first cache, actually) and the same spot is now home to someone else's cache. Maybe he'll have better luck. Two of three stages of a puzzle cache got muggled (although one was possibly squirreled) and I've hidden those in different spots. I gave up on the most recent loss as I don't feel like sacrificing another bison tube.

Thanks for letting me kvetch.
everettlane

Postby pelagori » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:08 pm

i find some hides last longer than others. 'end of promenade' is a good example; love the location and its an award winner but the cache has needed to be replaced 3 times already. i buy keyhides in bulk....

others like coenties & stone have lasted past all my expectations and the original cache is still in place in an eminently mugglable spot.

i place the hides knowing they will probably get zapped at some point and i think you have to be philosophical on this point.

transit alternatives was a clever and original hide BTW and should have lasted better than it did. i would give that one just one more go - i thought it was a cool hide.

i took my kids (hf149 and "perciusf" (i think)) past the newly replaced cleopatra's needle this morning and they both loved that one - the look on their faces when the cool discovery was made was worth it... i would say try and keep the cool original cache placements going at least a couple of attempts before giving up...

n
... pelagori (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby everettlane » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Nick. I've just ordered some more bison tubes (found some here, only $1 each! http://tinyurl.com/ylafbyo ) and will try to replace Transit Alternatives. But more sneaky-like this time.
everettlane

Postby halijusapa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

everettlane wrote:Well, I'm glad to know it's not just me :) I guess with 8.2 million people in New York, someone's bound to notice our caches.

And don't forget (at least in Manhattan, Central Park, etc.) all those tourists from around the world :P

Other parts of the boros, it's more a matter of the neighborhood it's in. I've had some hides in some questionable areas of the Bronx and I've been amazed at both the "staying power" of some of the hides and how quickly some others have been muggled.
halijusapa

Postby Sparrows_Gold » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 pm

I have to replace "The M Club" a few times but only becasue one of the Doormen was watching!
Its still worth the effect becasue of all the people who find it!
Sparrows_Gold

Postby addisonbr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:52 am

Sometimes reviewers get grumpy...

Muggled after only 5 days! Of the 7 caches I've placed so far, 4 have gone missing. That's 57.1428571%! I get the feeling that someone is stalking my caches. Either that, or my camo is lousy.

I'm not so sure you should be blaming someone for stalking your caches or your cammo. You place hi risk, hi muggle factor caches and they are always a maintenance nightmare.
addisonbr

Postby Child Of Atom » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm not so sure you should be blaming someone for stalking your caches or your cammo. You place hi risk, hi muggle factor caches and they are always a maintenance nightmare.

Who are you quoting here?
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:

Who are you quoting here?

Sorry I guess that was a bit vague. That was NYA's unarchive log.
addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Wait a min... :shock:

CHILDOFATOM IS NY ADMIN?!?!? :o RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

HAHAHA! :lol: :lol:
gerkmax

Postby Child Of Atom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 pm

gerkmax wrote:CHILDOFATOM IS NY ADMIN?!?!?

In some ways I wouldn't have that job even if it came with the best pension you ever heard of. In other ways... I WISH I was Admin. Not NYAdmin though... Just NYCAdmin. I've often thought that NYC caching is unique enough that we should have a separate Admin. Or put us under the provenance of OReviewer who at least has cached in the city occasionally.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

My Blog!
Child Of Atom

Postby lekogm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Child Of Atom wrote: I've often thought that NYC caching is unique enough that we should have a separate Admin. Or put us under the provenance of OReviewer who at least has cached in the city occasionally.

Hmm.... this is a very good idea. Can we petition for that? For all we know NY Admin is from like Alexandria Bay, Fredonia, Plattsburgh, or some other far away part of New York. Also, is NYAdmin even from NY?
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby halijusapa » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Child Of Atom wrote:
gerkmax wrote:CHILDOFATOM IS NY ADMIN?!?!?

In some ways I wouldn't have that job even if it came with the best pension you ever heard of. In other ways... I WISH I was Admin. Not NYAdmin though... Just NYCAdmin. I've often thought that NYC caching is unique enough that we should have a separate Admin. Or put us under the provenance of OReviewer who at least has cached in the city occasionally.

Maybe it could happen one day......they recently split CT off from Pofe (she used to have both CT and NJ) and have a new account called CT_Reviewer (who like OReviewer and unlike NY Admin admits who they are......Katydid and Miles Stone!). So I could see it happening one day.....
halijusapa

Next

Return to GeoCache Hides