2nd Oldest NYC Cache about to go

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

2nd Oldest NYC Cache about to go

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 am

Vanny Cache (GC1382) is the second oldest active cache in New York City, listed in July 2001. Only the infamous 4quA5 is older (by four days). They are the only two active NYC caches that were placed in 2001 or earlier.

Although it's only fair to note that "active" doesn't describe Vanny Cache very well... It's been a ghost of itself for quite some time. It hasn't been found since 2008, and by all accounts the tree that it was once located in has been more or less destroyed for much of that time. The cache owner hasn't recorded a find since 2005, and hasn't logged into the site in over a year. The listing was finally mercifully reported to New York Admin, and barring the unexpected, Vanny Cache will soon be able to happily rest in peace.

Near as I can tell, the next oldest cache is Cunningham Park #1 (GC6225) in Queens by Alan2, listed almost a year later in mid-2002. Alan is of course an active member of the community so there's probably a lot of life left in this one.
addisonbr

Re: 2nd Oldest NYC Cache about to go

Postby halijusapa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Though I've never gone to find it, when we first started caching almost 5 years ago, I remember it was the only cache in Van Cortlandt Park and stayed as such for years until KVPhoto got into the game and added some there, and I had wondered why for so long it was the only cache in such a vast park.
halijusapa

Postby lekogm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am

Maybe we should do a search for the Vanny Cache event......... just like with gerk's search for 4quA5.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:13 am

lekogm wrote:Maybe we should do a search for the Vanny Cache event......... just like with gerk's search for 4quA5.

I dunno. I thought you guys were at least 50/50 the first time you went out to look for 4quA5.

I think Vanny Cache is closer to 0% to be in place.
addisonbr

Postby majormajor42 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 pm

I commute to Queens from Rockland a few days a week. While I haven't been in that park since my cross country running days in high school, I drive through it on the thruway/parkways all the time. I could easily make a point of going there.

So, if the cache is MIA, and the owner is MIA, what next? I take it that we, as the local geocaching community, are interested in keeping the local old caches going, right? So what do we do? What are we allowed to do?

[EDIT:I just reread the OP. "happily" laid to rest seems to indicate that your thread was actually just letting us know the status of the cache and not some sort of call to action to do something about it, or was it? I'd be party to doing something about it if was okay to TPTB]
majormajor42

Postby addisonbr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:50 pm

majormajor42 wrote:I just reread the OP. "happily" laid to rest seems to indicate that your thread was actually just letting us know the status of the cache and not some sort of call to action to do something about it, or was it?

Yeah, I think you read it right. It seems like this cache is ready to go to cache heaven. I'll pour out a 40 in memory.
addisonbr

Postby gerkmax » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:14 pm

You don't have to pour out the whole forty! There's a recession going on!
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Wow, this one cache in VCP for years and years and now thanks to Gerk we almost have "saturation" :lol: (just kidding, thanks for all the great new hides in there......)
halijusapa

Postby gerkmax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

You're welcome, Harry (and everyone). It did come at a small cost... my kids now hate "bushwacking", as we got caught in some thorns taking a few "shortcuts". I had to promise them BIG TIME goodies.
gerkmax

Postby halijusapa » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:23 am

gerkmax wrote:You're welcome, Harry (and everyone). It did come at a small cost... my kids now hate "bushwacking", as we got caught in some thorns taking a few "shortcuts". I had to promise them BIG TIME goodies.

Ironically, it's one of the reasons we never went for Vanny Cache all this time.......too many logs saying either what a super long walk it was or how they went by the GPS instead of the trails and bushwacked into thorns, etc.......a few months ago started to make an attempt on some of the other VCP caches (i.e. the 2 by KVPhoto......I know there's 3 by her but the third one is a nano in the open area of the park and we have gotten that one) and by bad luck the first one we went to was a muddy/hilly area so we stopped and went for another and my GPS seemed to suggest bushwacking and it got thorny so we bailed :cry: . One of these days.......
halijusapa

Postby Harry Dolphin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:33 am

Looking back at our logs from almost five years ago, it wasn't in great condition even then. And the hike made Andy Bear very grumpy!
Harry Dolphin

Postby addisonbr » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:55 pm

addisonbr

Return to GeoCache Hides