[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - What's the deal with Galaxy/Splinterheads and geocaching?

What's the deal with Galaxy/Splinterheads and geocaching?

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

What's the deal with Galaxy/Splinterheads and geocaching?

Postby halijusapa » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:56 pm

For the first time in about a month, I was on the Groundspeak forums, and there was a lot of chatter about a geocacher named Galaxy (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... 4a34c&ds=2) and a movie called Splinterheads about a young woman who is part of a traveling carnival, although no one seemed to know what it was exactly all about (the movie website seems to be down as it wasn't letting me get to it).

I realized after doing a little research (and I was quite surprised that the movie didn't have a Wikipedia entry given the real obscure things I've seen that do have one and don't get deleted) that this is a current movie starring Lea Thompson and "Galaxy" is the young woman in the carnival, played by up and coming Australian actress Rachael Taylor.

It seems that "Galaxy" has placed 5 hides across the US that I guess promote the movie, including one in Central Park: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... a26d84a34c. There's also one slightly upstate near the town of Woodstock. I guess this is kind of like the old "Planet of the Apes" cache promo, except that these caches don't have a special icon to claim in your finds. She's also released 24 Splinterhead movie-related TB's

I'm wondering if anybody here knows anything more about this, for example, does "Galaxy" geocache in the movie as something she does during "down time" from the carnival, since I'm otherwise not getting the point of her profile or this promo. It seems "she" has 9 finds, including a visit to this year's Geowoodstock in TN. What I found really strange about her profile is that while (as makes sense being a movie promo) all the finds and hides are from this year, it says she joined GC.com in 2003.

Really just very curious if anyone knows anything more about this, thanks!
halijusapa

Re: What's the deal with Galaxy/Splinterheads and geocaching?

Postby halijusapa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 am

I normally don't reply to my own post, but with the movie website up now, I can see in the "About" section the connection to geocaching, so I think I get it now. Thanks though.
halijusapa

Postby addisonbr » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah, near as I can tell geocaching plays a role in the movie. One trailer I saw showed her actually explaining geocaching to someone else, in the way that you usually see geocaching explained in movies and TV shows (L&O, Find Me, etc.).

My best guess is that the account is controlled by a production assistant or other some such person who found some caches a while back, and they got the idea for a promotion and converted the account (with groundspeak's permission) into an advertising account.

I don't really care about the commercial tie-in, but I'm a little pre-emptively worried that it's another case of someone dropping a cache for promotional purposes and giving no thought to maintenance. When the movie premier has run its course, I expect that the folks responsible for placing this cache will forget all about it. I've seen it happen to other caches that were placed for news articles, etc. And this cache in particular is a bad idea for Central Park - the container is huge and not particularly well hidden. I think its days are pretty numbered.

If they take care of it I have no problems, but if it gets damaged or goes missing and they don't do anything about it, and we have to wait for the three-six month cycle before the cache is eventually archived and the area opens up to someone who cares more about caching than about movie promotions, that will be a little annoying.
addisonbr

Postby Kbd71 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 am

I thought this looked familiar. Galaxy also has Splinterheads-related TBs:
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1665174
Kbd71

Postby halijusapa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm

halijusapa

Postby majormajor42 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 pm

I just did the Central Park Cache last week, met Kbd71 right after it. I agree that anyone with a little geosense can spot it from the footpath but most muggles don't have geosense.

I did see the movie. On the day that it opened in Union Square, I published a cache in my hometown in honor of this movie's creator/director. You see, Brant Sersen is an old childhood playmate of mine. We haven't been in touch since the good old days so I was really blown away by the fact that he seems to be doing well in the entertainment business, and that he made a movie with Geocaching in it! So, I finally built up the nerve to place my first cache. Anyone in Rockland County can swing by a small park in Pomona and find Mickey's Spit Bucket GC20KRE. Most of my cache description concerns the park's namesake Burgess Meredith, but at the bottom is the true reason I placed the cache. The cache, being my first, isn't that impressive but I figured I would just share what I did.
majormajor42

Return to GeoCache Hides