[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4778: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Metro NY Geocaching Society • View topic - Old cache still alive!

Old cache still alive!

Discuss your hides here

Moderator: gerkmax

Old cache still alive!

Postby pelagori » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:45 pm

After seeing it mentioned as the oldest brooklyn cache, i looked up the details and log for GC30E "seE Y0u" by cache ninja. It's been archived since Apr '03, but subsequently someone (splicingdan) seems to have found and maintained the cache and there are several post-archive "found" logs - last find Jan '05.

The location is in Prospect Park so this afternoon I thought I would go and look & see what was left - even after 3 1/2 years. Found the cache right away - at the posted coordinates, hidden exactly as described by cache ninja 7-8 years ago. Cache is in great shape - log and contents dry and container & swag intact - the lego knight and fats277's (the FTF) coins are all still there.

I'm not the only one to have this hunch that the cache is still active - there were 3-4 entries in the cache log from '06 and '07 - EVF and "old navy"(?) logged visits last year.

I think it would be good if this cache was brought back from archived to active status. If cache ninja is no longer in this game, I'm sure we could find someone to adopt and care for this "institution". I'll contact the relevant admins and ask for this... but does the metro NY GS agree with this, and do we think that collectively asking for this cache back might be more persuasive than just one member asking...?
... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Re: old cache still alive!

Postby Tatanka49 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 pm

I checked the archive. Interesting reading. Apparently NY Admin doesn't want to re open but you can try. You might want to place another cache listing in the same spot and call it "Oldest Bkyln Cache" or something. It will have a new # but for historical purposes, why not continue the tradition.

J
Tatanka49

Postby Child Of Atom » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:04 am

He's still in the game enough to have contacted me after my quest to locate earlier this year. He sent me a a little congratulatory note when I finally, (after 4 attempts) posted a find. He is also the CO of the oldest cache in NJ. EastVillageFamily was in contact with him I believe when the rescue efforts for 4quA5 were going on, and the container was getting replaced, etc.
Is your culture a counter-culture or an over-the-counter-culture?

Child Of Atom

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:59 am

Interesting stuff. It appears that groundspeak was upset enough about the hullabaloo over this cache at the time that in addition to being archived, it's locked so that you can't enter any online logs at all (normally you can log archived caches, if you can figure out how to get to the cache pages).

I went on a Prospect Park run at some point during 2007 and looked for a bit for seE Y0u while I was in the neighborhood but didn't come up with it. I had heard the stories about splicingdan maintaining the cache even after it had been archived, but also saw that splicingdan had listed a seE YOu cache on TerraCaching.com (TC77U) a day after his on the groundspeak site.

It looked to me like the coordinates for TC77U were different from the coordinates for GC30E though. Here is a map of GC30E:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.65733+ ... iwloc=addr

And here is a map of TC77U:

http://www.terracaching.com/gmap.cgi#ce ... select=all

It wasn't clear to me that the cache being maintained was actually at the original groundspeak coordinates, but it seems that you're saying that that's exactly where it is. Maybe with my head and heart not fully buying into it being there, and with other caches to get to, I just didn't look hard enough. I was also wondering if it's possible that TerraCaching.com scrambles the map for non-subscribers, but every time I've accessed that page TC77U has appeared in the same spot - so if they are scrambling the coords, they are doing it in a non-random way.

By the way I think you're right about "Old Navy" - he is an active cacher on both GC and TC.
addisonbr

Postby lekogm » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

Does the log book or container list the gc.com waypoint? If so I don't see why you can't "adopt" the cache.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby addisonbr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm

addisonbr

Postby Tatanka49 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Ahhh..the unknown politics of early cachers. :roll:

j
Tatanka49

Postby Bonick0 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:00 pm

It would be great if the cache was brought back to life - it certainly has a lot of history to it. Definitively ask, the worst they are gonna do is say no.
Bonick0

Postby lekogm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 am

I wouldn't say it's unknown politics, I'd say it's just not caring about how stupid other people are.
--
Greg aka LekoGM
lekogm

Postby halijusapa » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:03 am

halijusapa

Postby pelagori » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 pm

All the replies on this thread have been very interesting so thanks for that.

Based on what addisonbr said, I got myself an account on terracaching.com and looked up TC77U (yes terracaching *do* obscure the coordinates for non members!), and seE Y0u does indeed live on at that site as an active cache. TC has coordinates N-0.003 W+0.009 different from the original GC30E. Several of the log entries I saw when there corrispond to log entries for TC77U and from the photos its definately the same cache.

I also read up some of the history of splicingdan's attempt to revive this cache at GC a coouple of years ago. All in all I think its best to leave things as they are. It doesn't seem likely splicingdan would want to have another go at reviving this on GC, and if I tried and succeeded (unlikely!) we'd just end up with the same cache with two different owners on two different sites.

I'l log my find on TC. I imagine this case is a unique one-off...
... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby addisonbr » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:24 pm

addisonbr

Postby pelagori » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:10 am

... (AKA Nick).
pelagori

Postby addisonbr » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:07 am

addisonbr